How materialistic are you?

I’ve watched a couple of the people in the assisted living center where I live when we go on a road trip. When we passed a hot car or a fancy house they would cringe with the desire to have those things, but they know they never will. Personally, I feel a faint desire for those things, but I don’t pine for them. When I was growing up we got the message that materialism wasn’t good. We’d drive by a kid on a motorcycle, and my dad would say, “What does that fool kid need with a motorcycle?” Or we’d drive by a house with a swimming pool, and my dad looked the other way. My parents earned enough money that we could have had more things, and we sometimes got them, but we looked at conspicuous consumption as frivolous. In a way, I am not so taken with possessions. There are a few things I want, like a heavy bag to sharpen my boxing skills. When I was in high school I coveted backpacks, but the one I bought was not top of the line. It met my needs. People always have been more materialistic than I thought. It’s kind of what makes the world go round. But I am glad I don’t covet too many possessions.

12 Likes

Hmmmm…

Well I’ll be honest: I do like nice, quality things.

But not everything that is nice and quality is necessarily expensive.

I think a lot of folks out there kinda assume the more expensive an item is, the better made and nicer it will be.

Not to mention the whole “status symbol” thing and bragging rights, etc.

Personally, I almost never buy stuff unless it’s on sale.

One of my top dream purchases is a refrigerator with a built-in ice cube machine.

Now that, my friend, is luxury living :sweat_smile:.

9 Likes

Sounds just like me :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Materialistic af

4 Likes

Not very I think. I don’t have a car and honestly I don’t mind. My flat is ok. I’m moving these days, but I’m not looking for a upgrade, just some place nice and quiet. I’m happy with what I have. My income isn’t much to talk about in my country, but I’m happy. I can mostly afford what I need. I think bigger, better and faster doesen’t necessarily make your life better. It’s all psychology. What you compare with.

2 Likes

Im strongly against materialism…I do buy a lot of stuff I don’t need though. Certainly not with an aim of collecting things tho. And I usually try to get the cheaper alternative or make it myself

2 Likes

I’m not so materialistic but years ago I read a book on ecology, global warning and so on.
It really scared me so I was thinking of stop buying useless object for example.
Currently I came back from this, cause I’m just a normal human who is attracted by objects promoted by advertising.
I have to admit that I cannot totally change my way of life, my habits.
We live in a World where it is almost impossible to live like Robinson Crusoe.
In despite of this, I feel very often guilty of doing nothing well for Earth.

3 Likes

There are things we can do though. Like buy green. It’s talk that even clothes will come with a eco-labeling in the future. If we support those even if they might be a little bit more expensive we are supporting global sustainability.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
I also think our leaders REALLY should act now.
I remember the cop 21 meeting, everybody nicely agreed that everything can change, each of them nicely said that their country will do much effort.
In fact nothing has changed.
And we, the people, should act alone?
That pretty worries me.
Nevertheless, this does not exempt us from acting.

4 Likes

Yeah, the capitalistic system has its fallbacks. It’s kind of up to the consumer to make the change with what we buy, but it would be a ton easier if goverments intervened and set a standard for products instead. But then we are moving slightly towards a communistic marked, although I would trust the government in making the right decision in this case. It’s kind of like taking dangerous drugs off the street.

3 Likes

You’re probably right.
I feel so much concerned and affected that I can be virulent.
Thanks for exchanging with me.

3 Likes

I like simple life. Convenience over luxury. Things have to serve a function.

3 Likes

I like stuff too much. I’m doing my best to own less of it. There are some problem areas…

I am addicted to kitchen appliances. In my defense, no one complains about what my kitchen produces and I do use everything regularly, except for the deep fryer.

I reduced my collection of antique film cameras to just the ones with sentimental value. I have my first camera that my grandmother gave me at age five. One of the few things to survive a house fire and a stint being homeless (I dropped a couple boxes of my most treasured things with a friend as the bank was repo-ing my home at that time).

I try to limit myself to things that I use. I also don’t buy things just to show off to others. I don’t see the point of that.

4 Likes

The way I see it you cannot pull a U-Haul behind a hearse.

I have a few nice things but buying something just to talk about it sounds very much like first world bs!

4 Likes

I have an obsession with stripey polo shirts, cologne, fine watches, shoes, necklaces, car stuff

I’m materialistic but also frugal :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I like practical quality stuff. Brands dont really matter to me.

Im pretty anti advertisement, so I try and avoid brand stuff.

Thats funny though considering my job is in sales :laughing:

2 Likes

I buy stuff that I can use. If it doesn’t have some type of purpose, I’m not likely to buy it.

3 Likes

that’s basically me. I live near houses that cost tens of millions of dollars but I don’t get too upset about the fact that I’ll never live in one. I have more than enough of everything I need as it is.

3 Likes

I’m too poor to practice materialism. Nah over the past few years I got into EDC(everyday carry). EDC is ítems you carry to be “prepared” lol. Like knives lighters small tools flashlights and other little things. I pretty much got out of collecting those but still have the remnants. Now I’m saving for another longboard. Here’s what I carry daily. I don’t really need a knife or flashlight, or watch. But they get used. I’m still into watches. I’m not really seeking any of the other stuff.

The cool thing about edc though is that you can afford little items like this on a small budget. And you get to carry them with you. I’m not too much into material things, just the stuff I like. Materialism can be kinda sad.

I just want to have an income to be able to live comfortably. Don’t need too much.

1 Like