How many years have you had

was diagnosed schizophrenic when I was 16, I’m 36 now, (so about 20 years maybe?) and it’s been changed to schizo-affective disorder. I’ve only been hospitalized for it once. I came close to it in my last relapse (in about 07) but managed to get it under control…I do however feel myself slipping back into a relapse which terrifies me.

24 years of schizophrenia. Looks like that will remain the case for the rest of my life.

Wish I new, been there as far back as I can remember, just thought it was a normal life and the way things were.

My diagnosis has changed a few times, but now schizoaffective with PTSD. It’s been almost 6.5 years since I first was hospitalized.

I was first hospitalised 11 years ago at the age of 19 this was before any symptoms of schizophrenia but I went to a friend for help about suicide and anger issues I didn’t take medication and things were well for a few years but then started experiencing mild psychosis at the age of 23 before I turned 25 I started having delusions and I saw professionals confused about what was happening by 26 I was in jail and by the time I was 27 I had been put in hospital and diagnosed with full on schizophrenia.

Since I was 11. I’m 14 now. I have early onset schizophrenia.

1 Like

About 4 years now. I wasn’t hospitalized till about 2 years ago. Wasn’t diagnosed with schizophrenia till about 1 year ago.

Born this way, pdoc pointed it out in 1996 that I was not what they considered ‘normal’ so they sewed that SZ label to the back of my neck.

So officially SZ Dx’d for 20 years.

It’s really hard to put exact dates on it because I had traits of mental illness long before I was ever diagnosed.

I had my first big break and hospitalisation in 2006, but wasn’t formally diagnosed with sz until 2009. However I had traits and symptoms of the illness since 1995.

I was first hospitalized 14 years ago at age 14. (Funny how that works out!) I was diagnosed with severe OCD at the time, because I didn’t tell them about the voices. I jut thought everybody heard them at times. I was in and out a couple more times before they finally slapped the sz label on me three years ago. Ah, memories :roll_eyes:

I had sz for 8 years and sz/a mixed type for 22 years(total 30) then I had a change of diagnosis. I am still on an antipsychotic but no longer on a mood stabiliser like lithium

25 years i’m 42 - was 17 when it became bad from a very poor prognosis age 32 - now out of hospital 10 years

This August marks the 19th year since I was diagnosed. It’s been a long hard road for me…but I’m finally happy now.

1 Like

I became borderline psychotic in 2011, had a real psychotic break in 2012 and a few other ones + diagnosis of Psychotic disorder NOS in 2014. 2 1/2 years ago.

2 years. But it seems like forever. I can’t keep doing this for the rest of my life.

I was discharge from the Navy on the 8th of October 1975 because of it. Looking back I had it before I went into the Navy.

41 years ago time fly when having fun. lol

I’ve had symptoms for quite a long time. Was officially diagnosed three years ago with schizophrenia.

About 15-16months so far. I have come so far, rising like a Phoenix from the ashes.

1 Like

Diagnosed September 2001. 15 years in total since my life changed course

1 Like