How many of you have problems reading?

How many of you here have problems with reading? My cognitive problems first started after I took my first antipsychotic. Soon after the hallucinations and delusions went away I noticed I couldn’t read as well as I used to. I’m hoping that KarXT alleviates this problem I have when it comes out. So do you guys have problems reading and what do you do to alleviate this problem?

2 Likes

I just keep on reading. If it sticks, its fine. If it doesnt. I try again. What else can realisitically be done.

So far im scoring 70s in my physics degree for the most part - which is evidence that this approach is working.

2 Likes

Well not only do I have problems reading I get confused very easily as well. I had recently had problems understanding a seemingly easy basketball play. I don’t think I could pass a physics class now even though I still like to read up on it and watch stuff about it. It’s all very frustrating because I used to have a high IQ and was put in gifted classes as a kid.

1 Like

Stuff I read changes, like a hallucination.

I imaginr letters snd words that arent there. Or i imaginr ive written something when i havent.

All in all. It effects my marks, but i still manage to do enough to pass.

Believe in yourself. That will hold at bay the cognitive difficulties

I had problems reading when I was first DXed. Couldn’t read at all. Now I read a lot and it’s complicated stuff (I’m a senior insurance broker). It is a skill that can be reclaimed, but it takes consistent effort.

2 Likes

I’ve never had problems reading. What I did experience post diagnosis was being told that reading x would tax my brain too much. That, coupled with a quite severe lack of confidence, put me off reading for a good number of years.

I can read. In fact, it’s a big hobby for me. But I can’t read for long periods of time. I’m also into creative writing and have written many stories and novels (unpublished so far). I spend about an hour a day on them. I think my anti-psychotic drug dulls my emotions. I often wonder if I’d be a better writer if I had a better connection to my emotions. I tried reducing my drug this summer, with permission from a doctor, and my emotions became more intense, but other nasty symptoms forced me to raise the dose again.

To this day I have a problem reading books, since psychoses. I can read digital with ease though. I have too many books I bought that I haven’t read or want to read again.

My middle son is a insurance broker as well.

1 Like

I as well have hardship when reading. I have to reread as well. Anyone heard of Jim Kwik? I’m doing lessons from him and it’s quite difficult. Trying to speed up my reading.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.