How many of you denied your initial Schizophrenia Diagonis (POLL)

• Denied I had Sz or Sza
  • Admitted it right away

0 voters

I denied for 10 years but stopped denying now after nearly killing someone and myself when unmedicated.

1 Like

I keep denying it even though i voluntarily raised my meds recently.

1 Like

I was questioning why I WASN’T sz actually cos I had voices for so long. And stuff. But anyways it’s cool. I’m fine with psychosis, lol

1 Like

Oh yeah, I denied it for a long time. Schizoaffective was first mentioned in 2004 or 2005, don’t remember which for sure, but I insisted I was bipolar 1 with psychotic features, my previous diagnosis. I didn’t want to be schizo of any sort. It wasn’t until 2016 that I finally accepted it, as it simply made more sense than bipolar with psychotic features.

1 Like

i may “deny” something but it sure as hell aint SZ
referring to your comment

I sorta knew, that i copped Schizophrenia months before i got the diagnosis thru. It really pissed me off that they let me suffer for ages (4 months), just to make sure it wasnt alcohol related.

They kept harping on that i had Borderline PD; but that dx never sat right for years - and they kept insisting on “talking therapy” - when in reality a bloody good dose of AP’s in my arse would have sorted me out far better.

I was one of those that fell thru the hoops at the time. Even the police knew i was mental - and it took a Police Psychiastrist to give them a kick and say why the hell wasnt i seen sooner.

(Sorry - Sore Subject) x

1 Like

I’m still in denial

1 Like

They didn’t tell me the diagnosis. When I came to my senses after a couple of weeks on meds, I diagnosed myself. Do I get brownie points for having such a marvelous insight?

2 Likes

I got moments when Im like yea yea I gots it and other times convinced that I dont have it !!

Its exhausting !!

3 Likes

I was just told i had it and didnt know what it was, i knew something was wrong and i tried to deal with it myself for a long time until i was sectioned and forced meds, i hate thiss illness amd have been trying to deal with it ever since

1 Like

Deny and accept, its a neverending cycle. I never believed in the meds to help me though. Im taking though do to family pressure and societal demands. Its bs.

1 Like

I denied it and the doctor eventually agreed with me.

1 Like

I did, but I was a teen when diagnosed the first time. You know how teens are.

2 Likes

I was always in denial however when they told me I didn’t have it I kinda wonder if I do

2 Likes

I had already come to terms with the fact that it was likely I had some kind of psychotic disorder by the time i approached mental health professionals so I had generally overcome denial by that point. My story is a bit unique in that aspect as most end up being diagnosed during an involuntary hospitalization and then it takes them years to come to terms with it. It had taken me years to come to terms with it as well, I just did so without the hospitalization.

1 Like

By the time I went to a doctor it was clear to me what it was as psychotic symptoms had been going on for a year. If someone had told me that a week, or a few months into the illness I wouldn’t have believed them.

1 Like

My issues were thinking psychics were reading my mind and watching me on a crystal ball — I was in huge denial at first then years later I went off the deep end and realized I needed medication…

1 Like

I didn’t think anything was wrong with me up until the last week of the hospital I just thought, “The gods chose me and to talk to me and I don’t sleep anymore.” But yes denial.

1 Like

Yeah. Going off the deep end can be very traumatic afterwards. In my case too it was the institutionalization that helped my realize the full extent of my affliction.

1 Like