How many here drive a car as a diagnosed schizophrenic?

I was pretty angry to start with, but I kinda get it now. Luckily my mother works for the same company, so she can drive me some days. The rest is public transport.

I am waiting to get PIP (A non-means tested benefit in the U.K.) as to get to work costs me £30 return for the train and bus. I can only afford to do that so many times as I only work four days a week :-/

2 Likes

That is some expensive fare! I hope your arrangement works for you.

Thanks. It’s been nearly 6 weeks since I applied. I should find out within two more whether I get it or have to go to an assessment centre.

These assessments are pretty rough. A person from the CMHT says she will go with me to make sure I get it.

See what happens. I gave up on all the benefits and government support after getting nowhere with it for 6 months when Dx’d. I was living on the floor in my sisters loft, and had enough so I started working again.

2 Likes

i thought i was doing good when i said to my cuz i drove 850miles in a month but i forgot he drove buses long distance and he said he has done that in a day :frowning:

but yeah, the worst thing for me about driving is the parking charges :frowning: they just put them up again, its nearly £10 to park all day at my clubhouse, almost £40 a week :frowning: i think it is criminal, i got a final demand for my parking fine but i binned it lol,

i’m lucky though as i didnt have to pay for my car, its brand new and its my mums car really bc she is disabled and qualified for a motability car

1 Like

I am a good driver.

1 Like

I have an eye issue that my Mom gave as a reason to not allow me to drive. I think she found it convenient though to use that as a reason to keep me in her sights and control what I did. I must admit now that my eyesight really is too poor to drive very well although I question that was always the case. I believe the eye condition was strombiscus which has been connected to schizophrenia in recent years. I tried to make up for it when I was young by riding my mountain bike long distances. My inability to drive played Hell with my social life and confidence as I live in a town where over 90% of people have cars.

1 Like

Actually it’s called strabismus.

1 Like

i drive out of necessity but i dislike it, I tend to zone out so don’t like to drive a lot only when needed

1 Like

I have in the past, but I have let my liscence lapse, so it will take a lot of trouble for me to drive again.

1 Like

I’m a delivery driver. I love it! I get to be alone and feel safe in my car.

1 Like

I have my license and drive all the time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.