How long do people with schizophrenia live?

Thank you, @far_cry0, but I’m not so sure. I often wonder what I and my life would be like if I had gotten help when I needed it the most. I don’t think there’s one right answer for how to cope with sz.
I hope you’re doing better, @far_cry0. I wish I could help you to not feel despair. :heart:

2 Likes

Hey, @MeghillaGorilla1!

We need to be grateful that we have meds at least. If it wasn’t meds, our brain would shrink.

3 Likes

@brugluiz. I think mine shrunk regardless.

2 Likes

I’m 35 and expect to live until I’m about 86 like everyone else in my family. There are meds that counter the ill effects of AP’s and as I get older I expect there will be more life prolonging meds on the market.

My main concern is whether I will have enough money to live until I’m 86 after I retire from work.

2 Likes

I don’t want to live in a nursing home but I go to school with a guy who is 82 and still active. I think we can live long lives but if I get too old to wipe myself its time to go.

I know my Geodon can cause heart problems but so far everything is good. I haven’t developed diabetes yet either. I think it can cause that too.

Geodon did drop a hammer on my exercise routine. I used to run a lot. But I just can’t do it anymore. I am 46 and in decent health except for the sz.

1 Like

I want to live forever, even in my current disabled form.
If I get better it will be a DREAM to live.

1 Like

Yeah I think I’ve seen a statistic that said an overwhelming number like 80 or 90% smoke. Very bad habit.

2 Likes

im 23 i hope i dont live long

53?? Oh, not good, not good. I’ll be 53 in 22 days, so the end is near. What shall I do?

I’m going skydiving
I’m going Rocky Mountain climbing
I’m going 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fumanchu
I’m going to love deeper
I’m going to speak sweeter
I’m going to give forgiveness I’d been denying
I say
I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dying

6 Likes

I’m 35, diagnosed at 15/16 years old. I agree with others that said the numbers are a bit askew because those with mental illnesses are more likely to attempt and succeed at suicides lowering the age pool of those of us that survive.

Sometimes pray I don’t live that long, but am not suicidal so I just suffer through it.

1 Like

When I was 23 I walked into an intake counselor’s office declared I was dead and that I wouldn’t live to my 24th birthday. I’m 33 now. I don’t know the statistics regarding longevity of those affected with sz but I’m happy to be 33. I chew tobacco and I wish I could say I have something to show for my age but I still gave it a good run for the pharmaceutical companies.

I am 48 and was diagnosed at 46. I am hoping to live a very long time. Although I get overwhelmed and suicidal at times, I want to be happy and at peace and I want to live for many, many more years. It all depends on how I feel.

I am 61 and hope to live to be a 100.

5 Likes

I think you just have to try and make the most of life regardless, as we will not last forever and you like many others could suddenly leave at any time.

I personally think that it’s a relief I do not have to plan for a retirement as I will probably be dead anyway. I have accepted this, so I am no longer bothered by it.

I am just trying to be there for my family, and help people at work to try and make my life contribute in a small way to others. I would have a more selfish view on life, but I am never going to be in a relationship, have children or live long enough to relax and enjoy something like retirement - so I am just going to try an have a positive impact on those around me.

I do wish I could have some of these things, but them not being a possibility means my life has less value than others because I don’t have a partner, children or a chance to build a life and live off the proceeds in my later years. In other words I have no responsibility to anyone, even myself. So I will try and make life better for those who have stuck around by helping them.

3 Likes

Scottb I don’t think your life has less value than others.
You shouldn’t feel that way. Everyone has his own path. Every single person is unique and your life is of infinite value.
The value of life is difficult to explain, but a life shouldn’t be judged by "achievements"
For me a person with schizophrenia who does the maximum to be healthy and retains a positive outlook
and has a lot of plans, but his capabilities are limited due to his disorder, is no worse than Elon Musk.

1 Like

I just stopped smoking the screams in my head absolutely knock me though

2 Likes

It took me until age 52 to get married. You can have a relationship with someone else and yes your life is important as I am sure you have touched some people’s lives.

I agree that your life has equal value to every other living (or dead) person simply because you exist. Your value is not determined by what you have or what you have done but by your humanity itself. We all contribute exactly equal amounts to Collective Consciousness (my version of “God”) and our value is exactly equal.

P.S. I know it’s hard! I have to remind myself that I am equal too. It would help if the world treated us all equally.

1 Like

I will try and realise that value. I guess it has to be done in a different way.

I just get frustrated sometimes about things. Been isolated for some time now and need to find a way to get out of it.