Schizophrenia.com

How long did it take for you to receive a diagnosis

…of schizophrenia? Feels like it could take years in my case. I really wish it was a quicker process…

are you on meds? when I was delusional I was diagnosed right off the bat.

2 Likes

Just over a year. Had various psychosis DXes until they settled on…

The Big One.

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah I am, so no positive symptoms currently just the negatives and cognitive issues…

1 Like

It took about 2 years from my first major psychotic break. They wanted to rule out other causes/diagnoses first

1 Like

I went through a dx of depression and a major break at 23. Psychotic at 29.

That psychosis was pretty easy I think after my previous experience. Lots of paranoia that was pretty obvious to those who diagnosed.

2 Likes

About 6 months. But i was off my rocker for years beforehand, just about gripping on reality. Doctors wanted to know why the hell i wasnt seen sooner.

“Schizophrenia (In relapse)” lol.

1 Like

It was instant then it got changed

1 Like

In the early 90’s
The only criteria was 6 months of constant psychosis
This was after years of slow decline and a long time to reach a psychiatric appointment
I was diagnosed with Paranoid schizophrenia on my first visit to a psychiatrist

1 Like

First time I had psychosis, the doctor diagnosed me with psychosis. Second time, with schizophrenia, it’s really the same process for everyone in my country

1 Like

immediately. yeah. speech of any kind.

meds did wonders, right away.

1 Like

Self diagnosis- 1 month. When I could tell the voices were actually in my head it was obvious I had my Uncle’s disease although I never definitely figured out why.
Doctor diagnosis- 1 year 2 months later. I hid it for a long time trying to keep a normal profile in society but couldn’t live with the voices forever as I became a bad insomniac and an incompetent student and worker. Eventually I told the medical community what was up. The first revelation was at the ER where they gave me a pill script and told me to go home. The official diagnosis was toward the end of that year when I talked to a doctor face to face about it. I didn’t say much at the time as revealing what the voices said was damning to me. After he asked what they said the voices spoke up and I made a face and he guessed the general content of things. I was put on a diet to check for another cause and came back as psychotic as ever. Then the diagnosis was made. Merry Christmas you have schizophrenia.

2 Likes

6 months for me and the doctor first said schizoaffective and then later diagnosed me with schizophrenia. I had been in severe psychosis for 2 years on the street before I ever saw a doctor. I think it was very obvious to him

1 Like

I was diagnosed in a week. I went in maybe three times.
I was diagnosed SzA at first, which I think is the correct diagnosis. I don’t think my current diagnosis of Paranoid Sz is correct. I think my SzA is depressive type is correct.

1 Like

Took a while to go to the doctor but the diagnosis was quick

1 Like

it took years to receive a dx…

1 Like

I was diagnosed four weeks after admission into psychiatric ward - the team that assessed me beforehand were pretty certain I was suffering from psychosis, and following a four week assessment they formally diagnosed me with it and started the APs

1 Like

My first hospitalization was in 1993. I wasn’t diagnosed with sza until 2014

1 Like