How Long Did It Take For You To Realize That You Have SZ, After Your Diagnosis?

It took me almost 3 years to realize that I have a mental illness. During these three years I had been through a lot.

I think the most important part of SZ is that you must realize that you have SZ. Otherwise how much ever the doctors try to help you, you won’t be in a position to understand the gravity of the situation. The most common part of SZ is that people don’t agree to the diagnosis they have been given.

So again… how long did it take for you to come to terms with your illness?

2 Likes

It took me about 6 years to fully accept it but for the most part I figured it out in 4 years. So I guess you could say 4 to 6. At the 4 year mark my hallucinations got really bad and I knew something was wrong but I thought it was because somebody was drugging me.

2 Likes

I think I’m having the problem where I know I have a problem and am searching for the diagnosis. It’s taken me probably 10 years since I first got major delusional to seek psychiatric help for it, though.

3 Likes

For me, it was immediately. I always suspected that I had sz for many years before I was diagnosed. When I received my diagnosis of sza, my suspicions were just confirmed.

2 Likes

untill now
i suspect from time to time i havent mental illness

1 Like

It was not until 4 or 5months or so when I finally ended up in hospital that I thought oh maybe I have a mental illness lol can’t believe it took so long that’s how real they felt to be spiritual rather than mental

1 Like

You are very lucky…

2 Likes

It took me 6 months of meds to understand that my delusions about the world were false.

What took a long time was getting me on meds. Eventually I checked myself into the hospital. I just knew that something was wrong, and that they kept putting me in the hospital, so I figured there might be something to it.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed with sz in 2003 for the first time. Didn’t understand it but meds helped then I went into remission and denied ever having sz.
It was only in 2013 after I relapsed and was rediagnosed that I came to terms with it.
So it took me 10 years.

1 Like

My abuser refused to diagnose me properly. I kind of found out through my own research but I was in denial I kept telling myself that it was just my situation I couldn’t actually be crazy.

But over time I’ve come to accept it.

1 Like

It took me eleven years to go in to the doctor and finally receive a diagnosis. I was so afraid of losing my nursing career. I had already lost my nursing license by the time I got diagnosed.

2 Likes

I am glad you are alright now. 11 years without seeing the doctor could have done a lot of damage to you… but i am glad you came out of that situation.

It took me 13 years from my 1st break to the 2nd when I finally got help. 2 more to realize I had SZA and just this year to admit to BP.

1 Like

My symptoms started in 2003 and I got diagnosed in 2006. But I had not realized it until 2012. so It took me around 10 years.

1 Like

I’m not confirmed sz (yet; still just schizophreniform), but it took me a couple months after being released from the psych ward to realize I was sick and not undergoing some cosmic test lol.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.