How is the life of a recovered person?

Does he/she talk about his/her disease to others? How can he/she forget that he/she has got this disease? Is it possible?

4 Likes

I’m not recovered yet, but when I get there I imagine I wouldn’t have any reason to talk about it or tell anyone. Maybe I’d write an autobiography one day, I would put it in there since it is a big part of my life.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know…I imagine it will be easier to talk about my experiences when I am recovered. I’d love to be an advocate someday but am not currently stable enough to do something like that.

2 Likes

I always doubt that anyone could make a full recovery. I kind of doubt that anyone could be a 100% symptom free for a long period of time. I hear people claim they are a 100% recovered but they still need their medication. To me that seems like it isn’t being recovered if you still depend on medication. I guess it’s a case of semantics as to what a full recovery entails. I believe people can improve and function pretty well, but I think after having years of psychosis the damage is done and a person may never regain his level of functioning, pre-schizophrenia.

3 Likes

I don’t think a full recovered person has something to do with 100% symptom free. I think a full recovered person is the one who can at least try to achieve her/his objectives.

4 Likes

"How is the life of a recovered person?"
better than mine.

2 Likes

I think not to talk about it, out side the family. Its harmful for the job or profession. Also I take care about people who talk behind me.!!

1 Like

I am not fully agree you. Because I have developed some extra idea of use of mind for my job or work, which is impossible by normal person. It is other point that I am not in a good position of job or service because of past schizophrenia. But I am using in my job with some psyco idea and also behave normally. In social respect point of view my colleague and boss feel good and intelligent for me but also doubt at the same time about my capabilities. I am doing toughest job in my division.

Your sense of humor is killing me,:innocent:

I consider myself on a good way to recovery, yet i need the meds for the rest of my life. My last full blown breakdown was in spring of 1999. Since that time i had maybe two or three occasions over the years when i felt unstable…but i was able to sleep it off or stabilise again. In these 18 years i had always had work, except twp occasions of about a year each when i was officially unemployed and received unemployment support. In these 18 years i married my wife, had a son, bought a condo, had several cars, and two of my in laws my wifes brother, sister and my mother in law live in my place from our support. I am sheltering and feeding them with internet, tv and all commodoties to live comfortable. I work morning shift nowadays getting up around three am and getting off work at 1 pm.its a job that is stressful and dealing with the public. All these responsibilities i take on since several years. I have had my dad pass away and had a terrible fight for my inherency with my dads ex wife, and staying stable during the ordeal. So i have proven myself that I have more ability to endure tough times than i ever imagined when i first was diagnosed. My three big factors of recovery are my faith, meds and my family.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story, @Normalone!

What tips would you give for those who suffer from severe negative symptoms?

Chew is only hew-man

1 Like

I consider myself recovered but not cured. I need meds to stay sane. I rarely talk or think about my sza illness. I don’t need to think or talk about it because I have no symptoms of it. So, out of sight, out of mind. Simple as that. Whereas before, when I was still symptomatic, my illness was practically all I ever talked or thought about. I couldn’t escape it. It was everywhere.

2 Likes

Interesting. I think that if one day I get recovered, I would share my story to people in order to reduce stigma.

I talk about my illness a lot too. =( Trying to completely keep it a secret nowadays. And gonna practice that a lot more.

I think as we take more hobbies and make healthy habits - just we move on?

1 Like

Uhum, I get it. I’m having some healthy habits, but I tend to think about schizophrenia. I think it’s because I didn’t overcome it yet. Sometimes I think: “today is a wonderful day and I haven’t thought about schizophrenia… but wait… there is still stigma… I need to do something about the stigma… I need to communicate it to people… people should be educated about it… who can do it?.. a guy who suffer from schizophrenia is a good option… I can do it.”

When I talk about my disease to someone, I try to communicate that a person with this disease is like anyone else. I heard and read some awful things about this disease and it makes me anger. Talking about the disease is a way to deal with this angriness. But we shouldn’t talk just about mental health. We need to engage with art, career, friends, family, travels, studies, entertainment, etc.

I have no idea if I’m recovered or reupholstered.

I just do my thing.

Where I live, is not a good idea to talk about this illness. =(

1 Like

For me personally- a professor at university, writing books on mathematics.

that’s recovery.

Why? Where do you live or what kind of city do you live?