How is Geodon? What is it like?

My doctor switched me to Geodon and I’m nervous about taking it. Did it make you fat? How is it? I had to stop Latuda because of the nausea and anxiety…

i lost 55 pounds when i was on geodon but it ■■■■■■ up my heart, my sleep, and my mood was horrible

1 Like

Been on it for almost 7 years. It makes me sleep 12 hours a day, knocks me out 2h after I take it, but no daytime drowsiness. If I don’t take it with a meal I get anxiety before the next dose, you’re supposed to take it with a meal. Been on worse meds than this but it’s not perfect.

1 Like

I love it so much! I’ve been on it for over four years. Make sure you always take it with at least 500 calories of food. Otherwise, it doesn’t absorb into your body properly. I use MyFitnessPal to make sure I am eating enough.

Geodon is one of the very few meds out there that don’t make you gain weight. I’m the skinniest I’ve ever been!

3 Likes

Warning: When you first start on Geodon, it will make you very, very sleepy. So sleepy that you will not be able to stay awake to drive. Driving will be dangerous!!

2 Likes

I’m worried. I signed up for doing a lot of things this fall in terms of activities and volunteering and don’t want to sleep for more than 8 hrs a night…

For me it was like water. Completely useless. I was only in it like a week or two, though.

1 Like

Geodon gave me the worst akathisia ever…but I probably would have lost weight on it with all of the kicking my legs were doing. I wish I could find one that doesn’t make me fat!

Geodon has been a Godsend for me. It controls my symptoms without making me gain weight or feel miserable. Of course, people can react to the same med differently. I haven’t really had any sleep issues with it.

I am on Geodon and love it!
I already lost a bunch of weight. I do not have a big appetite on it.
I have 'normal human motivation on it. For example, today i worked, did 3 loads of laundry, cleaned the whole apartment, made food, took a shower. It helps me get things done on the right dose.

Geodon gave me acid reflux. You really need to eat well with each dose.

Geodon reversed my sleep cycle. I fall asleep in the morning and stay awake at night.
L Theanine supplement helps with insomnia like no other plus reduces stress.

And mornings in case you really need to take a high dose and have school/ work
Set the alarm to wake up at 4:30 - 5:00 am eat 2 bananas, a glass of chocolate milk and yellow cheese and take your pill. Go back to sleep.

When you get up around 7-8 am the sedation will not be there.

:flushed: good luck

1 Like

No didn’t make me fat, made me lose about 10 lbs actually. Geodon was a total mess for me to be on. It made me manic when I first went on it so I felt AMAZING but when that wore off I was sleeping as much as 16 hours a day. It would hit me with sedation so powerful I couldn’t even stay awake while driving, which made me basically hardly ever capable of driving myself anywhere. It also made me lightheaded from low blood pressure which also impacted my driving badly. I couldn’t tolerate heat on it and being outside in the sun made me almost pass out, same with moving too fast…it pretty much totally took away my appetite. You’re supposed to take it w 500 calories and I had to force feed that to myself until I started gagging that’s how low my appetite was, I could easily skip meals.

Never skip doses…gave me horrible anxiety and would make me gag at even the smell of food. Quitting it was a nightmare, felt like I was coming off a hard drug or something. It was really great for my negative symptoms but barely did anything for my positive aside from take away my voices. I hope you have a better experience with it. I’m very sensitive to medication and don’t tend to have good times with anything I try.

1 Like

When I took a large morning dose it sedated me, so my doctor switched me. Now I only take 20 mg in the morning and 60 at night. I sleep 6-9 hours a night and wake up feeling refreshed. Every brain is different.