Schizophrenia.com

How Has This Forum Evolved?

I guess it’s a question for the older posters…

Is this forum better or worse than years past? I’m quite enjoying the current conditions. Just wondering if this place was markedly different many moons ago, and if so, how and why?

1 Like

It was like this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120127180555/http://www.schizophrenia.com:8080/jiveforums/category.jspa?categoryID=4

…back in 2012.

(Thanks to Internet Archive Wayback Machine)

From what I remember, the old forum was more difficult to moderate.

5 Likes

I joined in 2008. There are a ton of differences and changes…some good, some not.

The “older” forum (aka the Jive software-powered ones) was a lot smaller. That made for a lot more intimacy and familiarity, something of which I am not sure has continued with these new forums. There are a lot more users here now, and a lot of people have came and left. That’s my thoughts on the old forums, and its advantages.

On the flip side of the coin, these new forums have a lot more active members just based on sheer volume. The moderating powers are a lot stronger now, which is certainly a good thing. The old forums, especially at the end of its life, were PLAGUED by spammers and fake troll accounts. That has gone by the wayside. There is a lot more socializing on this forum which, in and of itself, is a good thing, but sometimes I get conflicted as to whether some of that has anything to do with the topic of a serious mental illness.

Both have their unique advantages. Just my opinions. If I was forced to pick one, I’d say this new site is my preference. When compared against the infancy of the old forums, this current configuration is ahead by a slim margin. When compared to the old forums at the end of its life, these new ones win by a landslide.

6 Likes

Nice find.

How do I find the first post made by turningthepageonschizophrenia

I was deeply psychotic but wanna see what I was like back then

I think you were posting Raps like this… :wink:

2 Likes

I will see if that is possible…

1 Like

I like the moderation on this new forum. On the old forum towards the end the junk posts where everywhere.

Jayster is one of the Few I remember from the real old days. Like 1995 or 1996.
I remember using a modem and lynx unix back in the day…

It was really smaller then. I used to post we were the top 1 percent of the 1 percent of the afflicted.
Since it was harder to get to the internet back then. I was working for the government and we had unix access, and
I even paid for compuserve since ISPs didn’t grow on trees.

There were a few people that would show up because they were bored and troll and spam like mentioned.
I would get so upset and then disappear and then come back and the same cycle would repeat.

But then that’s the same story of everything.
History repeats itself. But now there are better meds, so it doesn’t have to repeat.
This viscous cycle can be broken. The chains can be released.

2 Likes

DAMN it…Turningthepageonschizophrenia is nowhere to be found

I made my first post summer of 2012, and then I posted a decent amount at the beginning of 2013

but cant find anything!

For quicker search, do you remember when did you join the old forum?
Okay, I saw it. Thanks.

Sorry, I am giving up, couldn’t find it as well.

It’s okay thank you for all your help. So sorry to waste your time

1 Like

I don’t care about wasting time in doing activity which I enjoy.
So no worries.

1 Like

I can’t believe that the old forum had a Croatian and Serbian subforum. :smile:

1995?? It’s like I opened an old manuscript :page_with_curl:

There seem to be more off-topic and garbage threads these days. This forum seems to be turning into less a schizophrenia forum and more a general forum with a heavy dose of weird.

1 Like

I agree, this site is turning more and more into a General Forum - more jokes, more flrting, more off topic threads and less topics on schizophrenia and related mental illnesses.

I guess this is why the Lounge section was created.

2 Likes

“…this site is turning more and more into a General Forum - more jokes, more flrting, more off topic threads and less topics on schizophrenia and related mental illnesses.”

I think this is a good thing. It’s a sign we’re all becoming more at ease with our afflictions and more comfortable with each other.

How is that a bad thing?

3 Likes

Im not necessarily saying that its a bad thing or good thing,

Just pointing out the differences between the old forum and the new forum - recently.

2 Likes

Malvok wrote…

“There seem to be more off-topic and garbage threads these days. This forum seems to be turning into less a schizophrenia forum and more a general forum with a heavy dose of weird.”

The ever mercurial Malvok seems to think this is a step backwards…a bad thing. That’s what I was questioning.

@Malvok

If you are finding many of the threads to be ‘garbage’ and ‘weird’, feel free to post in with your own topic headers.