How far have you come?

I’m going to state it now, NO negativity!

From before getting diagnosed and treated, how have you progressed?

i have went from constantly swinging between moods and psychosis to pretty much stable and happy. Even over the past year I went from apathetic with one meds to mostly normal with two.

My marriage improved from near divorce before meds to stronger than ever and supportive. My kids are happier, too.

11 Likes

I went from essentially nonverbal and so psychotic I couldn’t feed myself, homeless, to going full time to a University in probably the top program for my major in the country. I’m happy. I have a good social life.

13 Likes

Amazing! How wonderful for you!

1 Like

Before I got diagnosed, I was homeless, heavily abusing alcohol and cough syrup, and convinced I was a demon who was responsible for dozens of deaths.

Size years later, I am married, own a home, and am in the process of adopting my son! So many people who knew me at my sickest told me I would never get to where I am now.

I also used to work full time, but I have decided to not return from parental leave, so I can focus on being there for my kid.

11 Likes

I eventually realized nothing really matters

That’s not positive. I stated no negativity.

ok, maybe a bit empty statement, sorry. im a bit stuffed from mcdonalds

1 Like

Congrats! I understand how hard it is to transition from homelessness when psychotic back to normal life. I don’t think it is a transition we will ever have to make again!

3 Likes

Before I was diagnosed, I was very emotional and depressed. I would lash out, push people away, then hide in my apartment to cry and self-harm.

I’ve learnt a lot about myself in the past 10 years, and after I got on meds my emotions became more manageable. I’ve almost completely stopped dissociating and having panic attacks, I haven’t self-harmed in years, and I generally feel like I’m more stable and calm and happy now.

6 Likes

i guess it can have a positive spin if we think that nothing bad really matters in the long run.

1 Like

Big Macs matter!

3 Likes

From staring idly at screens and walls all day without really seeing them, not eating even every day and being completely emaciated, going outside at most every other day, and usually just to get food, doing weed and other drugs every day, barely talking or acting almost manic, not being able to read more than a paragraph before completely losing the thread, showering once every 2-3 weeks, and hallucinating almost every minute of every day, to being a full-time student with great grades in a difficult program with a stable, loving relationship and good friends.

I couldn’t ask for more. The best feeling in the world is being in control of your life and using that privilege to make your life meaningful.

11 Likes

At one point I did not know if my voices would ever go. It seriously made me feel hollow, but then they eventually went and I was like phew…for now

4 Likes

I have gone from being constantly tortured by psychosis and suicidality before proper meds, to being always happy and content with a clear mind on the right meds.

9 Likes

It’s too long to write; but let’s just say im at a point in my life similiar to when Robert Downey Jr. got his role in Iron Man.

4 Likes

Ive come too far to give up now

2 Likes

I was diagnosed at age 19 in 1980. I went from waking up in a large hospital every day for 8 months at age 21, and now presently I get up in a nice apartment and go to work three days a week. I’m 58 but I am still working on getting my college degree, very close :smile:.

When I was 19 and first diagnosed I was psychotic and got not even one minute of relief from scary, torturous, uncomfortable symptoms for those first two years. I was a madman but I acted and sounded normal and nobody could tell from the outside that I was uncontrollably suffering. So, if no one could tell, I figured I would keep the symptoms to myself, lol.

All joking aside, I suffered and went through hell, my case was severe. That’s why they locked me up!

Now, I’m looking back on being employed almost steadily since I was about 23 in 1984, I mentioned my education. I’ve done a ton of fun, cool stuff. I moved out of a board & care home in 1995 and I lived in “normal” society for 20 years, mostly renting rooms in peoples houses. Four years ago I ended up in the hospital after staying out for 25 years. It almost wrecked my life but I have kind of bounced back and I’m back to work, back to online classes. My positive symptoms are pretty low and nowhere near severe as in 1980. I’m doin alright.

4 Likes

:disappointed::blush: 151515151

3 Likes

This is amazing topic. We need more people to share their successful story which give us a lot of hope. Especially some of you used the word “happy” which means a lot to us.

4 Likes

When I was diagnosed at age 38 with Schizophrenia, I was a lost, confused and very mixed up person.

But Oh! how things have changed…

Now I’m a 53 year old lost, confused and mixed up person!

:joy:

6 Likes