How do you tell whether you've read a thread?

This is probably a dumb question… After I’ve read a thread, sometimes the title turns gray and sometimes it doesn’t. Why sometimes and not other times? Isn’t it supposed to indicate that the thread has been marked as read?

There is also a blue dot that disappears on the all categories screen.

Where on the screen does the blue dot appear?

When you scroll all the way down and there is a Topic box, a blue dot will apear there.

Oh, I think I see what you mean. When you come here you work from the “Suggested Topics” box rather than from the “All Categories” screen. That seems to work.

I have noticed the same thing. Sometimes it registers that I have read the thread and other times it doesn’t. I think you need to be on the thread for longer then 5-10 seconds for it to register that you have read it. Now I just scroll up and down until I have seen the whole thread and it registers that I have read it.

I will check into this and get back to you. OK - I checked into it and it seems like there might be a bit of a bug. It should take a few seconds it sounds like, to register that you’ve read a given message or Topic thread.

You can read more about his here:

http://meta.discourse.org/t/delayed-mark-as-read/6269

I think maybe when someone replies to a post in the middle of the topic we have no way of knowing which post is the new one so we have to scroll through the whole thing to have it register that we read it.