How did you get diagnosed?

I was diagnosed when I was 17 with Delusional Disorder. This was because I thought my parents were poisoning me. I had heard some voices when I was young, but not enough to make me believe I had Schizophrenia.

When my voices got really bad in my 20’s my diagnosis was changed from Delusional Disorder to Schizophrenia.

3 Likes

I was also diagnosed by a military psychiatrist. My first hospitalization it was adjustment disorder and I tried to return to full duty. I was able to get signed off fit for duty again but then I had my second hospitalization and it was changed to delusional disorder During my third hospitalization it was changed to paranoid schizophrenia and then I was medboarded found unfit for duty and ultimately medically retired.

4 Likes

i have been diagnosed and re diagnosed over and over again. first it was schizophrenia at the mental hospital then it was borderline personality disorder with psychotic NOS then it was schizophrenia again and several doctors made that diagnoses. then finally schizoaffective disorder with ptsd. three different doctors made that diagnosis so i guess that is what i have.

2 Likes

II moved back in with my mom after she sold the house and got a condo. I couldn’t handle the noises, plus she wasn’t feeding me enough for some reason. Probably my fault for not getting a job after flunking university.

So I broke some furniture and poured cleaning products over her wardrobe. The police picked me up, doctors diagnosed me, and after 3 weeks they sent me to a homeless shelter where I lived for 8 months.

Then for a few years 300 lbs me starved on disability in illegal infested housing. It was the worst experience ever. I beat up 3 times, have loose bone in face now.

Now my mom’s bought a new house and I got rent sponsorship and more help from my mom with money and coming home more often.

3 Likes

When I was 13 the depression came first. Then I started hearing a young girl in my head. Then I attempted suicide and had my first hospitalization. I was diagnosed sza. The paranoia was real bad so I had a TSS worker go to school with me. High School was hell. I was in and out of the hospital. I didn’t stabilize until my early 20’s when I stopped all meds. Things slowly crept in like the psychosis, depression, and anxiety. At 26 I was depressed and God commanded me to chose whether I lived or died and if I chose to die I would have to do it wholeheartedly. My mom and I decided I should go in the hospital. While in the ER waiting to be transported I tried to take an officer’s gun to shoot myself. I was restrained and sent to the state hospital. Over the next 6 months I no longer had depression nor symptoms of psychosis but was living full blown in the world of psychosis. My regular pdoc who knew me best diagnosed me with sz. Meds never worked and I was desperate so that same pdoc said either try Clozaril or ECT. So I went for ECT. I received it for years and then stopped for a couple. Things got real bad so I’m getting it again with new additional support. :partly_sunny:

2 Likes

four months, eh? most I’ve endured was 1

I guess I always knew I was depressed but psychotic? It took me three admissions to understand what psychosis is. I guess things do happen in threes but this was totally Fd-Up

2 Likes

My diagnosis is currently unclear. It now seems to swing between schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder. The reason being my personality is fractured and I’m severely dissociated, but I’m also very paranoid and hear voices. So the docs aren’t sure what’s wrong with me now.

3 Likes

I went into a psychotic break and was paranoid my mom was going to kill me. So I told her I was going to keep the knives and scissors in my room… That’s when my parents took me to the hospital. There they told me I was schizophrenic, undifferentiated schizophrenic and they told my parents I was bipolar… And now they just want to place me on the schizophrenia spectrum… So… I guess when I was in the hospital.
Was also googling the Internet for everything except SZ

2 Likes

A big customers security came out to me one day and said I was acting strange and would pay for me to see the corporate therapist, It was that or leave, so I went they sent me to a community one, then off to the hospital from there. Up to that point I thought everything I was thinking was happening for real.

3 Likes

I was extremely stressed out on my ship (military) and what caused me to have a phycotic break was after a friend of mine jumped over the side whike out to sea and next day I completely lost my mind and I was found sitting on side of the ship. Not gunnar jump but just sitting there. Was taken to military phyc ward 4 days later diagnosed with adjustment disorder, 6 months later they tried to put me back to fit for full duty but my phyciatrist decided not to and extended my limited duty and 3 months later diagnosed me with SZ after continuous phycotic breaks at work that went unnoticed or no one brought it up thinking I was just crazy. But now I’m on meds since beginning of the year and more stable.

2 Likes

Up until a year and a half ago, all I had was depression and anxiety. For good reason. I had lost everything and was living in a shelter. However, a year and a half ago, I suddenly ‘knew’ I was in a brain study, that it had been going on for years and that it was ending. The people controlling my brain made me go dancing through the streets, made me leave my car in the middle of the road, made me go hot-tubbing with my clothes on etc. The police picked me up and took me to the hospital. They checked me for drugs (none) and sent me to the psych hospital. I have had 2 other hospitalizations since then. I was originally dx with BPD, then PSZ and now DD (delusional disorder). Meds keep me from the hospital but I am still delusional.

2 Likes

I called the police because I thought my employer was involved in a conspiracy. Some where in the conversation with 911 they decided to arrest me for terroristic threats. Still not sure what I said. But I was scared like no other and had a shotgun by my side. Went to jail and was telling inmates my story Incase something would happen to me. One of the inmates wisely suggested I go see the phyc doc because he would have to listen to me. Within an hour or two they transferred me to the mental hospital. I wasn’t happy with the security because my company was after me , I share my thoughts with the pdoc . They transferred me to a hospital with security and locked me up for 19 days. Diagnosed me with sz almost emediatly . Didn’t believe them for months just took the meds because it was a court order and it helped calm me down and helped me function with the stress of all those people that were after me.

2 Likes

I started showing symptoms of anxiety attacks, depression and voices when I was 14 or so but I only visited a pdoc when I left school and was 18. By then my symptoms were worse and a psychologist referred me to the pdoc because she thought I had a mood disorder. The pdoc diagnosed me with bipolar.

A month later (Jan 2003) I was admitted for the first time in a hospital and they diagnosed me there with bipolar or sza.

Two months later I was admitted to hospital again and there is was diagnosed with sz for the first time.

The third time I was admitted (the following year 2004) I was diagnosed with paranoid sz which in the three more hospital stays (2005, 2013 and 2014) stayed the same.

2 Likes

I was hospitalized 5 times. I thought everyone was out to get me. Kept going off meds and relapsing. My parents had to call the crisis unit 3 times.

Somewhere in the midst of that i got diagmosed. Meds have worked. Other than being a lazy negative symptom bum my life is pretty sweet now. Disability and part time work. I have my own apartment with the wwe network on tv so its all good.

Ill never date again though

2 Likes

wasnt sure what was wrong but hid it away until I could no longer control it… had a good run undercover but wasn’t the best plan… I lost it ended up in the er then to a special unit with special 1 to 1 attention… dx took about 48 hours roughly 2 visits with the doc… couldn’t argue with the dx i knew something was wrong long before they just finally gave it a name…

3 Likes

A great nurse I’ll never forget really nailed it for me when I was 23…it wasn’t until years later (age 27) that I got properly treated and I wasn’t using any street drugs (I had over 2 years clean). My case worker showed me the diagnosis too on paper at this time.

2 Likes

docs always write weird.

good luck unseeing that.

but flame, it’s good you got help instead of brushing MI off. MI’s serious and some realize that, too late.

2 Likes

lol payback for Mario milk well played…well played…

too true… i wouldn’t have died…atleast i don’t think i would have… my depth perception would have been off and you might could sneak up on me a little easier from the left…

1 Like

I was 19 years old. The symptoms were beginning to appear. I thought they were real. About two weeks later I started freaking out one night. The police were called. I ended up going to the hospital. In there I was still freaking out and refusing meds. Stayed there for about 4 weeks and I was diagnosed with schizophrenia paranoia. For the first few years I had trouble accepting it. Now I know the medicine is there to help.

2 Likes