How were you diagnosed?

What happened or what lead up to you being diagnosed as schizophrenic or schizoaffective??

Hmm long story but I’ll try to shorten it. During my first major psychotic episode I involved a friend and she ended up realizing I was completely delusional and told me I needed to get help. I was horrified that she thought I was crazy and was worried it would ruin my life if it got out. But then I started realizing nothing I believed was going to happen had happened…and then I began to think if maybe I had a psychotic disorder. It suddenly explained every weird thing I had experienced in my life, the fear, the strange things I saw and heard and felt, my different beliefs and my communication with ghosts, angels, God, demons, etc…

So I had several years of denial and wrestling with myself not knowing what reality was anymore and scared to get help for my psychosis because I thought I’d be locked up and force fed meds. But after I got involved in the mental health system due to severe depression and anxiety issues I learned the rules and became more comfortable about it and myself and with encouragement from this forum I ended up telling my therapist about my psychotic symptoms for the first time and that lead to me seeing a psychiatrist and getting my first diagnosis which was really vague, nonspecific psychotic and anxiety disorder. Later I ended up being diagnosed with major depression w psychotic features.

A palm reader caught it early. :wink:


I told my pdoc I was paranoid and having olfactory hallucinations that were very bothersome. He gave me a diagnosis of sza. I was very suicidal at the time.

I was first diagnosed with “delusional disorder” because I thought my parents were putting poison in my food (of course they weren’t).

Then when I started hearing voices more often I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia and that diagnosis has stuck so far.

HI, I been hearing voices my whole life and never really thought much of it I had far out there ideas and beliefs that I never shared with anyone and I believed my delusions where real.
It all came to the forefront when I had my first major psychotic episode at work and believed everyone was talking about me and saying stuff I could hear them even when no one was around, I eventually got over this by myself but It happened again when I tried to apply to a new job and believed everyone was talking about me and making fun of me, I was then diagnosed with psychotic deppression and was on meds for that for a year and put on alot of weight, I went of the meds for a year and was fine until I fell in love with someone whom I know now was a part of my psychosis and the same thing started happening again I started hearing voices and believeng i could hear people talk about me… which is when i got hospitalized again and diagnosed with schizophrenia based on my past history.

I was depressed, anxious and penniless. My life had spiraled to the bottom. I was sleeping in a shelter and living in my car waiting for it to get repo’d. Other than that I was mentally normal. Then slowly, over the course of a week or two, I started feeling weirder and weirder. I thought I was being watched and filmed but tried to blow it off. Then one day I lost control of myself. I became convinced that brain researchers were controlling my mind and body. They made me dance through the streets for hours and leave my car in the middle of the highway. I got picked up by the police and taken to the hospital. I ended up in the psych hospital. I was first diagnosed with bipolar, then SZ and finally delusional disorder over the course of several months. That was a year and a half ago. I have had 2 ‘loss of control’ episodes since then. One was a suicide attempt. I am still very delusional but haven’t had a loss of control issue for about a year.

I had it for about 2-3 years before the actual diagnosis of schizophrenia. The doctors when I was hospitalized didn’t give me a diagnosis of schizophrenia. They gave me one of mdd. It wasn’t until I started seeing a private psychiatrist and told him of my symptoms when he gave me the diagnosis of schizoaffective. Since then the diagnosis has stuck through different doctors.

With a thermometer and a yardstick.