Schizophrenia.com

How come I'm more intelligent when manic?

I had a police lady tell me my vocabulary was really good once while sitting in the back of the police car being driven to the hospital. According to my community nurse who rang the police to recall me to hospital I was elated and manic. My vocabulary just flew out articulacy with eloquence, no word salad or thought blocking/pressure of speech. Maybe I am more intelligent then I think I am and the meds are blocking it. Apparently I have an < 69 IQ and lack capacity with my finances, it doesn’t make sense?

1 Like

Yes it does I feel this way right now! I feel like mother Teresa

1 Like

You aren’t less than 70Iq

1 Like

I definitely had much better vocabualrly when manic too. I also just found speech way easier in general and could portray my ideas much better.

But I don’t know if was more intelligent.

3 Likes

I diagnosed with intellectual disabilities and have an IQ of 69.

I feel I can do anything when I get like this, like everything is easy. I could even do a Caesarian section on a cow myself

I know but you wouldn’t be able to speak so well if you truly were that iq

That why I don’t feel like I fit in within intellectual disability groups and all my social activities are with intellectual disability services so am in a bubble. I do like ID services but don’t interact with mainstream people.

1 Like

Your mind is just more active thats all

1 Like
1 Like

Same here. I can feel extremely stupid, when depressed, but if im having a hypomanic episode i can speak and think much faster.

3 Likes

I don’t believe that I have an IQ or about 110-120 and I don’t use the word eloquently

U spelled it wrong but maybe I’m wrong

Maybe you were nervous about an IQ test when did u get tested? I feel super smart and people say I’m funny like robin williams off meds

I can see hypomania resulting in optimum cognition for that person , but full blown(extreme mania) having the opposite effect.

1 Like

Mania is similar to cocaine high to me

The psychologist went through my school reports, not just reading the results from the IQ test. I wasn’t academic during my schooling years and struggled educationally.

Yea well you speak good imo

1 Like

Not many people, % wise , are particularly academic during their school years . Nowadays, though things still need to improve, there is a vast difference between the help for children with global or specific learning problems/mental ills/ASD etc than was available when I was at school.

I have depressive type so I don’t experience mania. I’m totally dumb and mostly non functioning 99% of the time. The other percent is doing something for a few weeks and then sliding back down again. I guess I drink caffeine because I chase those feelings of mania.

1 Like