How can I lower prolactin?

First, I want to ask why is high prolactin bad, then I’m wondering how can I lower it? I’ve only heard too much is bad, don’t know all the details.

They give me 5mg Aripiprazole, but I doubt it helps much

3 Likes

My father has higher prolactin levels than me, and I’m on Risperdal!

He’s not on an AP

1 Like

I switched from Invega to Abilify and it cured my prolactin problems.

1 Like

As you can see aripiprazole (abilify) has one of the lowest prolactin levels.

3 Likes

I had a prolactinoma which is a brain tumor caused by high prolactin. It is very rare but can grow and press on the optic nerve causing blindness. I had to have it removed in hospital. At the time my prolactin levels were very high…

I’m switching to risperdidone at the moment, should I be concerned about prolactin? My sz is not very severe and I only need a relatively low dose of antipsychotics. I’m currenly on 5mg olanzapine and 1mg risperidone, and I don’t have any positive symptoms. And I’m guessing when I’ve made the switch about 3mg of risperidone will be enough for my symptoms to be non existent.

Have you had your prolactin tested? Or are you just worried because it’s mentioned a lot?

I’m just a bit worried just now cause I saw the chart posted above and I didn’t know risperidone was at the top of the list before seeing it. I haven’t had it tested.

1 Like

Get tested before you worry too much. I was on risperidone for about a year and haldol +haldol depot for several (I think 7?) years with zero issue. Then I was on perphenazine for less than 2 years and had to go off it because it was too high.

1 Like

Maybe ask your Dr for testosterone. Prolactin lowers testosterone.

Is increasing testosterone with injections/gels safe for us with schizophrenia? There’s not a chance of increased positive symptoms or anything?

I will ask my doctor about testosterone I think. Do you think he’ll let me start it even if levels aren’t below what is considered “low testosterone”? I mean I feel like the medication is lowering my testosterone quite a bit, I don’t feel as manly as I did before medication.

1 Like

High prolactin can also raise your odds of developing breast cancer if it’s elevated over the long term. That’s why I’m tapering off of Risperdal Consta.

You need to do a blood test to see testosterone lvl. Mine went down to 4.7 after being on 6mg Risperdal, minimum normal value is 5.8. My prolactin went from normal to double the max normal value, 36. I asked my Dr about testosterone shots but he just ignored me, I developped breasts and I am a male. Sex drive is lower too.

I am afraid of having osteoporosis because of high prolactin and low T.

Wow your psychiatrist is such an ass lol, maybe because you bugged him too much or something which is why he ignores you. At the rate you are going, you gonna die of all kind of comorbidities instead of schizo

1 Like

I am on amisulpride and have like 50 ng/ml or what the unit of measurement is and the norm would be around 10. My doctor said it doesn’t affect testosterone, low testosterone can have other reasons like being overweight. He also explained to me the mechanism why prolactin is released by antipsychotics but I forgot the details.

But everything online says it does. I think our Drs are ignnoring and lying to us so they don’t prescribe testoserone.

Too much prolactin can reduce production of the hormones estrogen and testosterone resulting in decreased bone density and an increased risk of osteoporosis.”

A high prolactin causes LH to be suppressed which leads to low testosterone .

1 Like