How can I get motivation

I’ve talked to my doctor about this over and over and she either isn’t concerned or can’t help.

I can’t seem to do much of anything. I feel like there is a wall around me keeping me from doing what I need to. Like I will feel like I need to put on laundry or something and I physically cannot get myself to do it. Same with my hobbies like I will want to knit and will just stare at my yarn but I physically cannot pick it up for some reason. It causes me a lot of distress sometimes. Other times I don’t really care. Sometimes also I will know I need to eat, and my stomach will hurt because I’m so hungry but I can’t get myself to make/get any food.

My doctor never says anything when I bring this up at every appointment . Sometimes i break down and cry to her… I don’t know is it part of schizophrenia or something else or am I just lazy?

1 Like

I have a little mental trick that helps me: instead of trying to get motivated, focused on becoming determined to do things that are important to do. This trick doesn’t seem to work on things that you know don’t matter very much, but otherwise it’s helped me a lot.

3 Likes

I’ll try that thanks. I’m hoping that this new med will help if it’s a symptom or ill just keep trying idk. Sometimes my husband gets upset because I will just be sitting in silence because I can’t seem to turn on the TV or radio.

Yes sometimes a med change can help, too. It’s also possible that dealing with your condition has taken a toll on you psychologically and you need down time to recover from that. I remember back when I was more hurt inside from what my life had been, I spent a lot of time just sitting around and analyzing everything, trying to look for answers. It was what I needed at the time. I’d say don’t beat yourself up if you can’t keep busy all day. It’s more important that you can get yourself to do things that would lead to problems if they weren’t done.

2 Likes

I struggle a lot with motivation too. It seems that unless it’s an emergency I can’t get it done. Which means everything is always last minute and it really contributes to my stress and anxiety. Well. it’s not as bad as it used to be because I’m getting a little bit better about trying to do more as I go along, but still things pile up. Like right now, it’s 2:30 in the morning and I’m up trying to wake up to get ready for inspection on my apartment at 10am. I have to get this place cleaned up and I put it off to the last moment till it’s an a emergency to motivate me.

2 Likes

This is usually what people mean when they refer to negative symptoms. Its super common in SZ. I get it a lot too.

I find sometimes just accepting that Im not doing it and am having a bad day is helpful long term. It makes me feel less guilty and more likely to try again later.
But I also do try everyday to do what I want. I dont give up immediatly.
Also count the days and activies that you have done successfully and be kind to yourself for it.

2 Likes

Maybe you could focus on the result of something rather than the work involved. Like think of a clean room, instead of cleaning.

1 Like

I’m going to try that with the kitchen. Thank you ill let you know how it works out

1 Like

Do you able to remain productive on some days like cleaning house, doing some great job and then after some days thought how I able to do all these on that day while now not even able to do anything? If this is the case then there is a trick to activate that productive state.

Its called the interest habit. You need to keep the interest alive. The way to do that is by doing that activity frequently at least like 1 or 2 days. Force yourself to do those every day or 2 or 3 days. If you not do it then interest reduces while if you do it frequently then that interest remain and you can keep doing it easily. For example if you want to clean house, cook food and other things then try to do those frequently. The more you do more easy to keep doing it. On the other hand reduce the interest of unwanted activities by not doing it. For example stop remaining idle. Not sleep during day time. This way increase the interest for needed by engaging in those activities more often and for the not wanted ones avoid them as much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.