How bad can depression be?

Has anyone on here struggled with serious depression? If so, can you tell the difference between your depressive symptoms and symptoms of sz?
What exactly can serious depression do to your mind?

I have major depression w psychotic features. It is extremely painful. It sucks all enjoyment out of life. It turns existence into pain and suffering. Some of my depressive and psychotic symptoms overlap, like I neglect hygiene and whatnot, but mostly they are very distinct for me…

1 Like

For me nothing means anything to me, I could win a lottery and burn the money, Getting dressed and going to work is like walking into a torture chamber, life itself has no value and I fall deeper into psychosis

1 Like

Had depression, lack of interest in my hobbies, constant thoughts of death everyday, suicidal ideation.

I think the antidepressant I take helps with this

1 Like

Depression for me was crying, sobbing uncontrollably for hours. I was constantly thinking about suicide, writing and rewriting notes and instructions. All I would talk about was death.

1 Like

Depression is like falling into a deep hole and u can’t get out. It’s very different from sz. Your down and feelings of suicide take over.

1 Like

I get mild depression but serious depression I think is worse than sz . And the statistics show a 15 percent suicide rate . The sz suicide rate is about 10 percent.

1 Like

Ready to turn my back on everyone and everything…slowly. Wanting nothing but to leave and feeling punished for being made to stay here. And that’s with a husband, a son and family, a job and students who count on me…Feeling separate from all of that and slipping away into despair. I wonder why God would keep me here when not even those, admittedly precious, things make me want to stay. I don’t care about the most precious or the most trivial.
That’s my depression.

2 Likes

well i had postpsychotic depression and i almost ended on the streets
my family didnt know if im dead or alive because i didnt call them for about one month
just couldnt do it
i couldnt wipe my ass properly and than i would go out and ask strangers for a cigarette

1 Like

I had depression as a tennager before i got sz. It was nothing compared to sz, no comparison. Negative symptoms are king in the world of reducing quality of life.

1 Like

I had depression in my teens and late 20’s. I tried suicide a few times. Failed, obviously. Every thought includes how to die. When to die.

I had ho go to ER once with ambulance, because I od on meds. I fell to the floor in front of my oldest boy and husband. I was very much ashamed of that. One week later I ended up in psych hospital because of another attempt. I was left there for 6 months.

Voices told me to die. After hearing that for two years I gave up and started to belive what they said. Not sure what is depression and what is sz. They are so twisted into eachother.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go suicide impulsively out of blue, but the things boiling in my head, and all events past and current, I think it’s inevitable, I said to therapist that when I go, there will be no attempts, it’s a long thought decision, and I will have no control over it.

So yeh it gets bad, incarcerated from all possible directions, at every single level. Even the walls closing down on me sometimes. No friendlies around

1 Like

I used to watch other people and ache with envy at what a good time they seemed to be having. I felt like life was escaping from me. I’ve had brief periods of depression, and they were plenty bad. I’m glad they haven’t taken over my whole life.

1 Like

I’m an Ultra Rapid cycler.
I can swing into a deep depression in a matter of minutes.
Severe depression can be fatal.

It’s like getting stuck in quicksand in complete darkness.

3 Likes

Clinical depression is like being trapped inside a hole; The more you struggle, the deeper you dig yourself into the pit. I was like, ‘I’m on the bottom of a pit and I scream for help…knowing I’m the only one left on earth.’

That is what my depression felt like. No one could help me because there is no one who can help me. Only I could climb out of the pit and help myself. The way up is hard and sometimes I fall back to the bottom of the pit, but I get there eventually as long as I do not give up!

In the beginning the doctor gave me anti-depressant pills but I took one and thought that is not for me. I felt terrible and it made matters worse. I knew I had to pick myself up and get out of this horror story. For some pills work and for others it does not.

3 Likes

For me my depressive episodes (SzA-Depressive) are like… Negative symptoms on steroids. Can’t do anything, don’t want to do anything, don’t enjoy anything. want to be alone… And yet hate being alone at the same time. It lasts for weeks at a time, once it lasted about two months. But when I get depressed I also tend to become psychotic, which just makes it all worse.