Have you achieved anything since your diagnosis that you're proud of?

For me it was getting off cigarettes and onto ecigs. Sounds trivial but I’m really proud of it.

47 Likes

I finished a course of Webdesign.

18 Likes

Yeah, dealing with the car accident that I was involved with.
I mean handling it (dealing with the police) by myself.
I didnt freak out completely!

21 Likes

chanting ohm for over an hour in a meditative state

17 Likes
  1. went back to university and got my Bachelor’s followed by my Master’s degree

2. have not been hospitalized since 2008!

3. got a paper published, will give talk in my field coming up! I have felt like maybe it was just my university going easy on me, that my work wasn’t that good, but this is the conference at a good university in California, so that really boosted my confidence! :smiley:

I still remember when pdoc told me to quit at the community college level, quit my pizza job, and just go on disability. I lost hope for a while, and it was a painful slow crawl up the mountain of achievement, but once I found the right med and stayed on it, my life got a whole lot more successful! even though I’m underemployed, broke, in debt, and living off my family at the moment, I still feel lucky and like I’ve achieved stuff.

The not being 5150’d thing is a big deal, too. I had traumatic experiences inside, so it would be truly horrifying to go back in, and the fact that I have been out for so long gives me hope that i’ll never have to go back to being on a locked ward or physically put into restraints again. There’s nothing like choosing what to I want to eat on a daily basis and going for long walks on the outside! Inside the wards, you can’t do either of those.

33 Likes

Earning my master’s degree. I had my first two breaks in 2003, started grad school in 2005 (happened to be hypomanic when I started), finished coursework and lab work for thesis project in 2007, then finished the remaining requirements (seminar, orals, thesis) in 2009, having had another break in 2008. At this point, I’m also proud just to be working and having my own apt, no matter how crappy that apt may be.

19 Likes

For me I am proud of surviving.
To thrive is too much to ask.
When I survive I’m already happy.
I would like to thrive, but for that I need either better treatments, or miracles.

P.S I did manage to complete a couple of university courses after the onset of the disease.

15 Likes

I got one of my aircraft mechanics licenses. On track to get the other one in May after I graduate :man_student:

18 Likes

For me it’s also my MSc degree, I was really proud of the distinction I got.

17 Likes

Just my Associates Degree in 2003

15 Likes

After risperidone my mind felt flat and my thoughts very slow. Even with that, I wrote three short stories. Very bad stories in comparison to the others I’ve written before, but stories nevertheless, and achieved through the hardest writing effort I’ve ever done.

14 Likes

I always feel proud when I get done with a poem I worked hard on or a song. One cool thing I felt proud about was that my grandfather died recently and he was a man that touched a lot of people’s hearts. I drew two portraits, one of him and one of my grandmom. And the pics were well liked. My grandmother had a big smile on her face looking at the pic of him.

17 Likes

June 24 will be 20 years in business, how I made it that long who knows lol

21 Likes

I got my bachelors and my masters! So I’m proud of that.

I also got a job recently!

22 Likes

Am growing a pretty kick ass beard!

Ps have gotten over bulimia as well.

19 Likes

I might be socially awkward but hell I’ve dated and done well socially compared to before I’d like to work on more lasting friendships though. I never argue but I feel I messed up feel embarrassed and never speak to them again.

12 Likes

I had a baby! I had been trying for seven years, so to finally have it work out was amazing. And I’m pretty proud of being a mom.

27 Likes

I graduated with a Specialized Associates Degree in Computer Programming and a Bachelor’s Degree in Health Administration.

14 Likes

I published a novella, and a guide book to sewing medieval clothing.

17 Likes

Completing a few online courses.

10 Likes