GWP42003 - The potential CBD schizophrenia drug

So they are using a stronger dose (500mg2 per day) of CBD as an add-on with conventional antipsychotics than used in the monotherapy (the treatment of a disease with a single drug) trial from germany (200mg3 per day).

This means they may also have tolerability issues in this trial, because they are using larger doses than perhaps necessary. If it is as effective as an antipsychotic in monotherapy at 600mgā€™s per day, 1000mgā€™s per day in adjacent with a conventional antipsychotic might be overkill, donā€™t you think?

1 Like

It would be interesting to know the dose they used in the trial they had tolerability issues with. But currently I am out of steam!

I donā€™t know how these things work, thereā€™s obviously a point where they figure out the therapeutic dosage, but maybe in phase 2, they use extra as theyā€™re only interested in results. But that does contradict the fact that they were dissapointed and their stock price took a hit in the phase 2 trial for the physical condition. Maybe it was more to do with lack of results than tolerability though.

Iā€™m no longer getting my hopes up too high though. 2017 is a long way off as well.

The thing thatā€™s dissapointing about all this comes back to what you said about the fact the trial isnā€™t using it as monotherapy.

Yeah, but this means we could perhaps lower our primarily medications down to a minimal level if we used CBD as an add-on. So assuming it does the job, I bet we can still manipulate the system to get what we want.

Hopefully. Itā€™s at least a glimmer of hope.

If all goes well, this will come out in 2017, as will Encenicline. 2017 looks like a potentially very exciting year for us.

2 Likes

And in Cali, where I am from, pot will very likely become legal for recreational use in 2017 as well.

Avoid it. THC causes big problems.

2 Likes

I will be able to try strains high in CBD and virtually no THC without a prescription. So even if this trial doesnā€™t pull through, I will still be able to get my CBD to try.

1 Like

Good news. Read quoted material. This is from SciELO - Brasil - Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug

Theoretically this means the 1000mg per day dosage might not have tolerability issues after all. Hopefully there is a positive outcome, but will we see the true potential of CBD when combined with a conventional antipsychotic? Its effects might be the most apparent when used in monotherapy instead of as an add-on.

Now that they have more of a gauge of tolerability when it comes to CBD through trial and error, this information can now be applied to all future studies on CBD so the mistake isnā€™t made again of using too high of a dose. Iā€™m sure they will apply this information to their trial on the effects of CBD as an add-on to antipsychotic medication. These people arenā€™t stupid. Theyā€™re just pissed the potency of dose can only go so far. Since CBD is a natural compound, CBD is CBD in just the same way h2o is h2o. There wonā€™t be variants of it like conventional antipsychotics when it comes to Abilify, Risperdal, and Geodon. The only thing they can change in it is its dose, unless they create synthetic forms of it, but according to my understanding, synthetic forms of pot can be very dangerous.

I stand corrected. Pot is likely to become legal in CA in 2016. Looks like I will be smoking Charlotteā€™s web sooner than expected.

@everhopeful can it help in szaffective toooā€¦???

No studies yet.

ā€œ[Inclusion Criteria) Patient is diagnosed with schizophrenia or a related psychotic disorder (such as schizoaffective or schizophreniform disorder) as defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Version 4.ā€ https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02006628

1 Like

So it sounds like they think it will help people with schizoaffective disorder too.

Hereā€™s a CBD drug in phase 1 thatā€™s being tested on its own from what I can see (not as an addon)

http://www.echo-pharma.com/en/products-and-pipeline/pipeline/schizophrenia/

Hereā€™s another study being done in phase 2 using CBD in monotherapy: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02088060

1 Like

Itā€™s just a study though, it wonā€™t lead directly to an end product. Itā€™s being conducted by Denmark mental health services.