Guys slow down for a minute

Have you ever wondered if sz is real?

4 Likes

This world is quick to give diagnoses. Maybe our symptoms are just normal?

Do you remember the one saying, sz is not real.
I ThInK, you either take care of yourself or you don’t.

Yes, I have wondered. And I decided it is real. Hell, it’s either real or the last ten years I’ve been on this site is a huge hoax perpetuated by hundreds of people claiming to be schizophrenic.

4 Likes

It is normal for a brain to react to aberrant circumstances; by becoming schizophrenic as a result of trauma for example.

3 Likes

I think it’s very real.

it took me awhile though to come around to it,
that I have it.

1 Like

The symptoms are real, but the diagnosis is made up. There’s all sorts of overlap and differences between people and diagnoses, and the DSM changes all the time.

3 Likes

Yeah. The DSM is a diagnostic tool based on observable behavioral traits. This is very good for keeping care consistent across multiple providers. It is not so good at providing targeted, individualized treatments that take specific circumstances into account.

I think this is why we sometimes get the folks claiming that gluten free or vegan or whatever diets are a cure. Because for their particular issues, that diet helped their symptoms. That’s also why some meds are a godsend for some of us, and a train wreck for others. Nobody actually knows whether schizophrenia is one disease or twelve different diseases with overlapping symptoms. As research progresses, we are getting a better picture of how to identify and treat mental illnesses, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.

2 Likes

It’s definitely real.

It honestly reminds me a bit of how cancer treatment has progressed since I was a kid. I was originally told I was untreatable. Then I was able to get a surgery to remove my tumor. A while after that, a friend was able to get her tumor removed by the doctor going in through her nose, so she had no scar. A few years later, they invented a treatment that allowed doctors to remove the tumor through gamma knife technology. Nowadays, kids can just take a pill that shrinks and kills the tumor.

Treatment improves as understanding of the disease and understanding of treatments improve. We are living in times where treatment is worlds better than those who came before us, and world worse than the folks that will come after us.

2 Likes

not soon enough, though, for those who’ve died.

1 Like

The DSM is full of shitt.
SZ is an illness conjured up by psychiatrists.

Everyone’s symptoms are different.

Each one of us is unique.

Severe mental illnesses like bipolar and schizophrenia are made up.

1 Like

idk. I see a lot of similarities in us on this site.

it’s definitely not normal to get psychosis,
if it’s made up, why have I gone thru that.

2 Likes

I also know I’m a paranoid train wreck.

all day I’ve been hearing banging going on in the neighborhood,
outside my house.
too scared to go check it out. Phil’s not here.
and yes I did make that public that I’m alone.

1 Like

My suffering is real. And without meds I can’t stand it.

2 Likes

morning or night, your meds?

my doc wants me to go morning, but it’s almost too long.

Like in your health is ours and you schizophrenia is yours?

1 Like

Mental illnesses are definitely real but I don’t know much about them or the brain or the DSM.

I get by with just a little discipline. Before I got ill I had little concentration, I couldn’t read hardly at all, it was too hard. Now I’ve mastered reading on a fairly high level.

1 Like

But now it seems meaningless. I’ll play the COVID blues on my guitar. I can do other things.