Genetically modifying future children isn’t just wrong. It would harm all of us

The pathway to a super race? Even greater inequality? Does a civilised society really need this?

3 Likes

That is wrong because we are not god, we cannot design a human life, there could be mistakes, that children could have serious health problems in the future.

3 Likes

I think that at least adults should have the right to genetically modify themselves

3 Likes

Two human races would be created. One that come from rich parents and they would be almost omnipotent. SEcond race would come from poor parents and they would be slaves.

1 Like

@kuckuckuc cut your scare mongering.

Hey @Chess24, are you joking? I don’t get it.

I think it’s okay to do gene editing to repair broken or mutated genes, in order to prevent genetic defects

I do not think it’s ok if it’s only done to create a “perfect” human.

4 Likes

The women scientists would genetically modify the guys to not leave the toilet seat up.

And the male scientists would create future women with big boobs.

2 Likes

Why am I joking?
Gene modification would be a great boon for humanity.

@PatrickT I believe you will have the tools to change your genetic parameters to whatever you want.

The subject of creating new organs and body parts for human beings in the lab is fascinating and has already produced artificial tracheas. It is almost certain to produce new vessels and new surfaces for joints. The more a person knows about how real science and medical research work, the less this will frighten you - cranks make capital by warning about the “dangers” of everything that helps us.

He/She makes a good point. This would not be a cheap thing.

@firemonkey my dear, don’t be afraid, nothing bad will happen to you.
I believe that eventually it will be available to all, even if initially it will cost lots of money.
And in any case, I would rather that rich people get it over nobody.

I sure wouldn’t have minded my crappy heart and misfiring brain being fixed before I was born.

Just sayin’.

@shutterbug you could argue that it is not good to modify a fetus that is not conscious and does not have desires.
But as an adult, you know you want these improvements, you are a fully responsible and mature
adult, and I don’t see why you should be denied.

Genetic defects- yes. Creating a Fascist/Nazi super race-no.

1 Like

It’s easier to prevent damage than repairing it.

No one desires living with crippling disabilities.

Look @shutterbug, I am all for gene editing being available to fetuses and people of all ages,
I am just saying that there might be an ethics issue with fetuses because they don’t have agency.
I am not saying I oppose it, but I’m saying there is room for debate regarding fetuses.

1 Like

I feel that correcting medical issues would be great for all of society. However, choosing things like the color of a baby’s eyes or how tall it will grow up to be is crossing a line. That’s not to say that it won’t happen; I just feel it’s morally and ethically irresponsible, and no scientist or doctor worth his/her salt would ever participate in such a thing.