End of an era as New York removes last public payphone

:smiling_face_with_tear:

8 Likes

So sad… I will always remember a quarter to call home.

5 Likes

e.t. phone home

2 Likes

Will they be putting pay phones in museums I wonder?

2 Likes

There is one unoperational payphone in my city that is used as a book library. People put books inside it that others can take for free.

3 Likes

Good riddance. They were miserable to use. Only thing the booths were good for was sheltering from inclement weather.

(Wonder where Superman changes now?)

4 Likes

remember calling collect?

my friend liked to piss off the operator. it was funny.

2 Likes

there was still a pay phone in my last city. it was outside an indian store. people used it.

1 Like

I loved payphones. When i was a kid, we had a phone booth on our street. I spend a lot of time there in 70’s and 80’s to overcome boredom. In the booths were phonebooks and we,as kids, worked a way to make free phonecalls. We did lots of prankcalls.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool :smiley:

1 Like

we prank called the local airforce control tower once when i was 8.

2 Likes

Our remaining payphones are now free to use for basic calls nationwide. Not that there’s many that survived but there are the odd ones around.

1 Like

These were the old mechanical ones with the old dialwheel. Something like this.

I couldn’t find an image of the payphone i mean.

1 Like

The ones here in the USA

I like the British version better though

3 Likes

They used to be where we rolled joints in the winter

Oh youth

:see_no_evil:

3 Likes

We had one in our high school. Then one day it was gone. I always used it freshman year when I had no cell phone yet lol

2 Likes

I remember having to walk a mile to get to a pay phone when I needed help one time. I used to regularly use pay phones growing up. Then, overtime, fewer and fewer were operational. I finally got a cellphone in my early 20s

2 Likes

I learned that there were actually guys who could hack the early payphones to get free calls by whistling certain sounds (kind of like the dial tone sound i guess) into the phone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.