Done Playing Plumber

My household is dirty, filthy, unorganized, and a mess. I was playing plumber with my stepfather trying to fix the house and plumbing but we stopped because we don’t know what we were doing, really. My stepfather is a jack of all trades, master of none – literally.

We’re sort of poor and I’m unskilled and disabled. I have schizophrenia, obviously.

Brother got an estimate for a plumber and it’s like 3500 dollars for the most basic repair…30k for the whole house replaced which is out of the question.

I don’t have any money, and nobody does really and nobody wants to pay really either. Insurance won’t cover plumbing, which is bullcrap.

Family is fighting, and sometimes I want to move, but realize even the best group home or room and board isn’t as good as what I have now. At least we have each other and care about each other despite the filth and fighting. We usually get a long, but my stepdad is really old now and my mom is mentally disabled and lazy in her own way and my brother has expensive taste. My stepfather is controlling but not as bad as my real father and has dialed down a few notches since he got old and I got sick really.

3 Likes

Wow, that sounds like a lot for a simple repair.

Can you get more quotes? That sounds awfully expensive

$30,000 for a whole house?

How big is the house?

Well, good news is my grandma came in and saved the day and we got a cheaper estimate and it will be fixed tomorrow with a small fix. It pays to have good, professional, and competent people doing things. I just hope they get it done and nobody messes it up like my step-father trying to control things, essentially. I’m dealing with lovely, but incompetent family members, but I’m probably incompetent too. I realize that.

1 Like

My step-father is a computer/electrical engineer by trade / computer programmer but he got really old and broke and made mistakes. He really cannot and should not try to fix and do everything anymore…

Yeah, my dad’s getting to that point, he’s a trades person, but so far he just keeps going.

1 Like

Well, bad news is my step-father wants to divorce my mom now over hiring a real plumber. Sad, pathethic. Maybe it will all blow over, but i don’t know.

1 Like

I’m sure it will blow over. Try not to worry yourself over the the dealings between a husband and wife. There’s ups and downs to any marriage. Sometimes things are said out of hurt feelings that aren’t really meant.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.