Dogs are a whole lot of work!

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again owning a dog is a whole lot of work.
It’s a huge responsibility.

I’m mentioning this because my father won’t let go of the idea for us to getting a dog, we already have a cat.

I am flirting with the idea of purchasing a Pug. They are small lower energy dogs that don’t require an enormous amount of exercise, they also are known to accept cats in their presence plus I’ve owned one before and am very familiar with them.

My father really wants a dog badly and because of his advanced age, he doesn’t have a long time on this earth.

I realize that it’s a big step and one that I won’t take lightly.

If I do decide to get a dog, it will be later on in the summer.

Just something to think about.

Nothing is final yet

10 Likes

Can you adopt older dog?

2 Likes

Believe it or not it might be easier for me to raise and mold the puppy to my liking Zoa… it’s going to be easier for the cat this way

2 Likes

You had to give up 2 dogs already if I remember correctly. It might be a sign you weren’t to have a dog.

4 Likes

Just a thought.
I was in period of adopting a dog, and wanted female tired sheperd.
Long story why…

1 Like

Pugs are not ethical to purchase like that. I understand the appeal of wanting a puppy, but pugs have a lot of breathing issues because they’re bred for the super short snout. Lots of people think they shouldn’t be bred anymore.

3 Likes

Yes but they weren’t my fault @everhopeful
Just unlucky circumstances

If this dog is healthy and I remain on my current meds, then things should work out

But it will definitely keep me on my toes

3 Likes

Yes, bulldogs also

I’ll see how things go, right now I’m just thinking about it.

I’m very familiar with owning a dog, I’ve owned and raised several over my lifetime

2 Likes

My corgi think he runs the place, Don’t get one :dog:

2 Likes

Haha… sounds like my diva of a cat! :smile:

2 Likes

Pugs are very cute.

Edit: oh I did not know about ethics about the breed.

4 Likes

My brother has had 2 pugs, raised from puppy-hood. He paid to have them get a special surgery that lengthens the snout and opens up the airways, which makes it easier for them to breathe. The surgery is recommended for age 6 months and up.

@Wave, so if you really want a pug, there are ways to “undo” the unethical breeding practices. But not entirely. It would be better if they just weren’t bred like that to begin with. But snout surgery is an option.

4 Likes

Wow thanks @Blossom and @Froge
I’m having second thoughts about purchasing a Pug now!

3 Likes

i love dogs but prefer a cat they are not so much work.

2 Likes

Yeah owning my cat is much easier than having a dog and less stressful!

2 Likes

But a dog is very loyal protective and always in tune with your emotions and needs human contact and love.

A cat is more chill and independent

6 Likes

My newest cat Cupid is very demanding of attention lol. He’s almost as bad as my pit bull

4 Likes

[quote=“Grookey, post:6, topic:300953”]
Lots of people think they shouldn’t be bred anymor

Yeah maybe certain breeds shouldnt be bred. But im more concerned with certain people that shouldnt be breeding either.

3 Likes

Also @Wave i know you have had a pug before but for little dogs they actually have quite alot of energy. (At least mine does)

And as mentioned an operation is a good idea if you do decide to get one on their nose etc as it really improves their quality of life.

3 Likes

They are a lot of work, more so than a child. But I’m really looking forward to it, but I have to wait until I move out because my mother won’t allow one in the house.

4 Likes