Does your pdoc ever display questionable body language? Like they don’t want to be there

Mine does every appointment. I see them 3 times a year for 30 minutes and each and every time they body language betrays their realisation that they hate their job

3 Likes

I used to have a therapist who yawned all the time. That was really annoying.

1 Like

My doc takes off his glasses, pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs. What a butt munch

2 Likes

No but he doesn’t listen as much as he should he’s always in a hurry to get through my appointment.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know about the body language as I’m not a good judge of it. Verbally quite a few have made little effort to conceal their dislike of me.

1 Like

One time in group this pdoc was trying to tell me why I did something, but that wasn’t why I did it. It was no big deal, but I felt that if this guy is going to give me therapy he needs to understand my nature. I probably should have let it go.

2 Likes

I would imagine this job is one of the most stressful out there. Having to deal with people that are seriously unwell all the time must be quite upsetting and it would really take it out of you.

4 Likes

I agree it must be a stressful job. You don’t know who is going to walk through the door sometimes. I think everyone has moments when they don’t relish their career choice and let slip body language that displays this. But I wouldn’t take it personally Jimbob.

3 Likes

I don’t notice body language much so I don’t know

2 Likes

I have seen my pdoc only twice, about a year ago, so i have no clue. The nurse doesnt show obvious dislike or disinterest. I think that is rude.

2 Likes

mine is a little care free. she won’t really ask how I am or if im having symptoms. she makes me bring up my issues, which is fine. our meetings are short as I don’t have a lot to talk about. I only see her every 3 months.

so yeah she seems un-serious too me. could be a little more professional. it’s like she just expects to assembly line her patients and get through their meetings as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Would you want to be there?

1 Like

My last pdoc was a stiffed necked automaton. No rapport. Thank heavens I have a cool one now.

2 Likes

I always remember when I was first getting to know my therapist and I once moved my arm to get something she flinched. Understandable I think it probably caught her off guard that she did that.

2 Likes

Before I started with my current pdoc, I went to outpatient psychiatry through a teaching hospital. I saw a series of residents in their last year of school, supervised by regular doctors. My last pdoc always acted like he didn’t want to be there, and he didn’t do a good job with me, so I fired him and started seeing my new one. He just kept adding meds without taking anything away. When I got to Dr. M, I was on seven meds and on the verge of disability. Now I am on three and ready to go back to work.

Turns out the resident wanted to go into forensic psychiatry, not adult psych, so he probably really didn’t want to be there. They shouldn’t have let him interact with patients.

1 Like

Yes I would.

I would think that after completing a 4-year residency a person would have an inkling as to what the job entails.

Some jobs are not for everyone, and if that’s the case for a psychiatrist, he or she should find another line of work instead of failing to provide essential services for people with serious mental illnesses.

We deserve no less.

4 Likes

Mine turns his chair to me and looks straight at me the whole time he is talking. He is great.

The last one, who I adored, had the back of his chair turned to me and looked at his computer the whole half hour of our appointment. Only rarely did he face me and look at me while he was talking. I don’t know why I worshipped him so much. Probably because he “cured” me.

1 Like

@anon94176359
I’m sorry you experience this!
My psychiatrist is calm, caring, and compassionate. He’s very thorough. He also lets me email him.

1 Like

My first pdoc was super quirky. I liked him but he retired. Sometimes he seemed agitated.
My current pdoc is such a wonderful man. He spends an hour each appt and we meet every 6 weeks.

2 Likes

@FatMama
Does insurance cover that?

1 Like