Does your cat walk with a collar and leash?

I remember seeing this on TV once, people trying to do this. I never attempted to do this though with my cats.

Every time I see a cat on a leash the cat is going crazy trying to get off it.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I saw too. I vaguely remember actually seeing a cat walk on a leash once when I worked at Petco.

I’ve been thinking I would like to have a pet cat again, but my current landlord won’t let me have one.

I’ve never seen a cat on a leash in real life, I don’t believe.

1 Like

It’s pretty rare. The majority of cats won’t tolerate it. I used to have pet dogs. When my dog died, my mom gave me one of her older cats. Cats are great except for the litter box smell. The cat my mom got me died of old age maybe four years ago.

1 Like

ha. don’t they come back home eventually.

1 Like

I take my cat for walks but not on a leash. I just call her to the door and tell her I’m going to go and ask her does she want to come. If she feels like it she follows behind and we go to the mailboxes or visiting or laundry room.

2 Likes

That sounds interesting. With cats anything is possible. Each cat tends to be unique. If I was going to get one, I would go to the City’s Animal Village, dog pound, to get one.

In the City you’re supposed to put an animal you are walking on a leash is the reason for people trying this.

1 Like

Good, yes, I got my kitty from the Humane Society. She a was a little more than a year old and had a sad story. I just saw her, she was so skinny, she looked so sad. When they put her in my arms she just melted and started to purr. I thought she was so sweet.

3 Likes

Heh. Mine refuses to move if you put the harness and leash on her. She flops over on her side and glares at you. There is loud wailing if you drag her around the floor. Makes a good dust mop, but that’s about it.

2 Likes

That’s a sweet story. Smart cat!

2 Likes

My cat loved going out with me, she was wearing a harness and was on a leash. We used to go out every night in summer, when it was dark but warm. I bought her a beautiful pink Hello Kitty harness with bling bling, and she didn’t mind wearing the harness at all. I lost my cat in autumn. I have given away most of my cat stuff but I’m keeping the harness. It is very dear to me.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. When my cat died I was heartbroken. It’s maybe been four years now, and I’m ready for another one.

Thank you. People have asked me if I will get a new cat. I can’t do it, not for years. I miss my cat so much, I had her for 17 years and she was my best friend. But if I ever get a kitten, I will teach it to travel in a carrier box and go out with me on leash and harness.

1 Like

You must be really good with cats if you can teach one to walk on a leash.

If anyone walks a cat, whether successfully or otherwise, please attach the leash to a harness and not a collar. Cats’ necks are more easily injured than dogs’. You wouldn’t want to end up damaging your cat’s trachea. Serval crosses often need the extra stimuli of a walk. I believe Bengals may do well with them also. Persians/flat faced breeds and Munchkins shouldn’t go out like that for hopefully obvious reasons.

2 Likes

Sorry, everyone here said they use a harness. I never walked a cat on a leash before, so I don’t know anything about it. Thanks for the advice. The cat my mom gave me was the first cat I ever owned, so I only learned the basics such as a litter box, food, hairballs, and such.

1 Like

This is something I used to think was true:

My cat wouldn’t do well on a leash
I have a hard enough time just catching her to pick her up.

She is still a bit skittish

1 Like