Does schizophrenia indeed gets better with time?

Like the positive and negative symptoms are less severe? Do we need less meds when we get older?

4 Likes

So far nope. It stays about the same for me thru the years, but everyone is different.

2 Likes

I think you can get better at coping

4 Likes

I started hearing voices and having delusions in November 2014. It got worse in 2020. It got really bad. So, I finally went to the hospital for help since getting a psychiatrist appointment would take weeks in the pandemic. It didn’t get better until I was medicated.

4 Likes

Mine gets worse every year it seems.

3 Likes

For me it does.
I’m 48,and my illness became less severe in past three years.
Just be patient…

4 Likes

For me the duration of symptoms have lessened but the intensity increased.

3 Likes

Mine got worse for several years (2008 to (2015) but now it’s better. I only see a pdoc every 3 to six months. Used to be every Friday.

2 Likes

When I was in the Marines I got sick in 2008’ They let me try to get better but when I got stuck with the paranoid schizophrenia diagnosis in 2010 I had to go to a med board. I had almost 18 years in.

They found me unfit for duty and recommended I be medically retired at 70 percent disability. But I asked for permanent limited duty to finish my full 20 year career. It got approved and I was still in and out of the hospital until 2012 when I retired. I retired in July and I was hospitalized the April before and it was the worst I had ever been. Was hallucinating. Visually with accompanying voices. That had never happened before.

When I retired I took my VA papers that said 70% disabled to the VA and they said that wasn’t good anymore and I needed another evaluation. A few months later I went in for my appointment in Texas and they wanted me to video conference with a shrink in Phoenix and I was paranoid as hell then. Said I wasn’t doing that and wanted to see a real person.

A few months later I went back and saw a person and took the MMPI.

I was working at the time. About a year later they sent me something in the mail that said I was 100% disabled. Totally and permanently disabled and would have no more evaluations.

Then in about 2015 I found the right meds and got stable.

It was a bumpy road but I got much worse before I got any better.

2 Likes

Ive seen a tiny tiny bit of hope in the past few weeks but its still pretty bad. Looking forward to reading responses though

Yes. It really has for me but there’s other things involved like less sex drive so I’d say it can for sure. We are all different and it’s a complex organ and I take my meds religiously but my symptoms have improved over time….

Dxed and on meds at 29. I’m now 52 but improved in my 40’s for sure.

The first few years are the hardest to deal with IMO. After that its all pretty similar.

1 Like

My SZ has improved with age. It now starts with a good nose, has excellent body, and great legs. It finishes off with a mild oaky aftertaste.

:blush::wine_glass:

I dont really think my symptoms got any less severe but after getting out on meds and years of learning coping skills it is much more manageable. Vs when I had no idea what was going on and didn’t have any of those things lol.

2 Likes

Yes if you take medications in moderation, eat healthy, work, exercise

1 Like

initially I was pretty well off, but I’ve gotten weaker because of lack of exercise and drive to push myself

I was delusional ever since I became schizophrenic. I was on clozapine. I never knew it. I don’t think. In the end I had my relapse. But my early psychosis was much different than my relapse. Now I have no symptoms.

The last two years has got worse for me it is thought to be because of menopause that has made me worse but who knows

My early psychosis was more intense and dangerous intensely islamic. My relapse was more damaging with visual hallucinations in the hospital. I’m not Muslim anymore

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.