Does Medicaid pay for

Group homes? How do people afford them?

2 Likes

I’m not sure. when I did direct care, and about 5 rented out a house, they had to pay rent.
others are probably are state funded.
some are built well,
others not.
Section 8 for single dwelling.

1 Like

The state pays I think in Illinois.

Idk where they get the money. Federal funds maybe or state income tax $$$…. Idk

1 Like

I’m very curious, because my understanding is that it’s like $10,000 per month for that level of care. But most disabled people have nothing.

When I was in a group home for about 6 months I’m pretty sure the government paid the home for my stay. Some people who got disability or whatever though had their payments garnished and only got so much if I remember correctly. But I had no income at the time and my stay was payed for by the government. I’m not sure if it was state or federal though. Probably state.

I don’t think it has anything to do with medicaid though. I did not have medicaid at the time.

1 Like

Oh ok. That makes sense. Thanks for explaining it to me @Bowens

1 Like

I lived in a group home through a catholic agency after a stint of homelessness in my early 20s. As a condition of living there I had to pay monthly ‘rent’, but all the money was returned to me when I moved out. I’m sure the group home was funded by donations, the government and the church.

2 Likes

Oh interesting. I’ve never heard of a church doing that. I’m glad you found them (or they found you whichever it is).

I was in their youth shelter, and once I found a job they said I could live in the group home. It was hard living in a shelter and working at the same time, and as soon as I got into the group home I lost my job. Then they said I had two weeks to find a new job or go back to the shelter. The next day I walked into an employment agency office and through a stroke of luck the receptionist said do you want a job, and gave me a job.

3 Likes

Wow. Well that was lucky! Good for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

My grandpa died in 2016 in the highest level care they had at the nursing home. He paid slightly over $7,000 per month when he died. And this was an expensive nursing home.

State housing for the disabled is supposed to be the absolute pitts tho. You would never let a loved one live there.

The lady who lived in my house before me required 65 hours a week special nursing care and the state paid the bill because it was cheaper than housing her with her problems. (She had a stroke and paralysis on one side of her body ).

1 Like

I think the cost depends on where you live. But I’m glad to hear the state helps

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.