does anyone know what residual schizophrenia?

i’ve read conflicting definitions, one saying it’s where the person is schizophrenic but his postive symptoms no longer persist and maybe negative too, and i’ve read that it’s where you have minor symptoms as opposed to before when you were off the rocks.

i feel like my symptoms are there but not extreme. it’s like an echo of the intense past, cause the reverberations are similar to the past but not as extreme.

I used to have that diagnosis. It just means you aren’t actively psychotic. I still had delusions with it but no hallucinations and plenty of negative symptoms.

My primary diagnosis was chronic paranoid schizophrenia. But when I appealed it my doctor said I had schizophrenia, residual type in remission. It definitely wasn’t in remission.

Doesn’t mean much really if you ask me but they don’t have all of those subtypes anymore. It’s just schizophrenia.

1 Like

I was diagnosed residual when I was still having full blown positive psychotic symptoms. Pdoc’s think they can see inside your head. They assume an awful lot.

I had a lot of paranoia back then too. I was afraid to talk. Thought there were cameras everywhere.

I still think they are listening and watching but I don’t give a ■■■■ anymore. I talk all I want now.

I think it means you are not actively psychotic, but may still have negative symptoms.

It means you still have negative symptoms and your positive symptoms are not prominent and occur rarely. I tried to get this diagnosis earlier this year but my pdoc said it was not possible.

I would say that residual schizophrenics likely still bare symptoms… but are not at risk of relapse even without medication. Or otherwise they exist almost only in a re-missive state where their illness is not a factor on there capacity to feel attached and actualized within their lives.

It is likely a deprecated term that never had an real use on the medical community.

We get diagnosed and are given the most scant of chances at recovery… our illness is a mystery… but telling us that only makes it worse.

That’s just my my speculations… the sense I’d make of it.

Was once schizophrenic… but now is not… though there is a trace of the occurrence… (In a more literal sense of the word ‘residual.’)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.