Do you understand "For whom the bell tolls"?

“It tolls for thee.” I don’t understand it. I don’t know how to mourn every death. We all will be dying some day. It’s the expected end to this life. Maybe I could mourn a young death, but how could one get caught up in every death? Am I misunderstanding the poem?

I like the Metallica song. I’ve never put any thought into the actual saying.

1 Like

I thought it was a reminder to think of your own mortality.

2 Likes

I was referring to John Donne’s poem rather than Metallica.

That’s a good point.

I had to click on this because I don’t understand metaphors at all

I was like what bell toll you mean like a toll that you pay what

I googled the poem, as I had never read it. To me it means that we are united in that we all die. But it could be deeper. My brain is fuzzy. The Bell tolls for all of us. We may try to be an island, but our lives affect people, places and things, even if it is in a small way. That’s all I got… :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

To me it seems pretty self evident. It means that ultimately our fate and our destiny is tied up with the rest of humanity, and because we all are bound together one person’s death affects us all.

It’s a line from an Earnest Hemingway book.

That what I was taught at school. Doesn’t mean it’s true if course.

I never understood peoples obsession with death and feeling depressed about it. I think death is a beautiful thing, whatever happens afterwards happens and you cant change it. I think its stupid to dwell on things you cant change. The ancient philosophers said: If nothing happens after you die, there is nothing to fear. so death, in a sense, ‘is nothing to us’.