Do you take Benzo? What are the effects?

I have been taking 0.5 mg of Ativan for the past 6-7 days and I feel my OCD has disappeared 90%.
I am combining it with L Theanine.

But!

In the mornings, it is so tough for me to get out of the drowsiness, it is 10 am, I am awake since 7 am and I still feel drowsy.

I decided to take Ativan/Benzo only when I really have to.

What is your experience with it?

2 Likes

I take Ativan, not to often though. I makes me so tired the next day

1 Like

yeah so I feel very tired. It is horrible :frowning_face:

1 Like

I used to take it to alleviate akathisia at bedtime. It was great. No wonder they are so addictive. So calming, relaxing, and akathisia relieving, so dropping off to sleep was a breeze. I didn’t take them during the day though, wisely.

1 Like

I take up to 4mg of Klonopin a day. I usually take it for insomnia more than for panic attacks, but I have it for whatever I need it for. I don’t really have many side effects. I do notice being more sleepy the next day if I take it for insomnia, but that could also just be because I sleep like ■■■■ and don’t get enough to sleep it off.

2 Likes

I take a benzo 3 days a week, and it does not make me sleepy (serax) but I do drink massive quantities of coffee. The coffee has been a long term habit.

2 Likes

Benzos can be great short term but they can lose their effectiveness after a few months.

3 Likes

Been on benzodiazepines since 2009. I just recently went to as needed Ativan now for akathisia. Xanax and Ativan are good, I miss the benefit of Valium but it’s a little too outdated for me

1 Like

i used to take benzos for relief from weed withdrawal. now it helps me sleep…

1 Like

Wanted to update. I talked to my doctor more about the serax and he likes it because it has a low potential for addiction among the benzos (partly because there’s not really a “buzz”) and because it usually stays effective over time. It also doesn’t usually cause drowsiness. Seems like a pretty good med.

Now, it takes my anxiety from a 10 to a 7 so it’s no miracle. But not bad.

1 Like

I took a diazepam once. I didn’t like it as everything felt unreal for half an hour, but it relaxed me a bit. I haven’t taken one since about the late 90s.

1 Like

I used to take Ativan. 3mg a day. It was prescribed years ago to help with seizure control. It worked very well for this. But for the last 2 or 3 years my seizures have been very stable and there has been no need to be on it. It’s just a physical dependence.

In Feb I was offered the opportunity to come off it. So I had to switch to diazepam. (Valium). 1mg of Ativan or klonopin etc =10 mg of diazepam. With diazepam you can go down a mg at a time.

At my Tritrate rate I should be off it in about 8 weeks.

I think bezos work great for anything like anxiety sleep etc but I would defiantly not recommend them long term. They are hideous to get off.

1 Like

My new doc won’t prescribe them. Wants to shove ssris down my throat for anxiety and depression and insomnia. Makes no sense to me

1 Like

Honestly, I have no idea why some doctors still prescribe benzos long-term for normal anxiety. It’s one of the most addictive substances we know of and is notoriously difficult to get clean from. I’ve been taught that it’s tougher to get clean from benzos than from heroin. It does not even treat anxiety in the long-term, because of tolerance. It should only be used for anxiety over short time spans or for special kinds of anxiety where you don’t have to take it regularly.

5 Likes

Treebeard u heard correctly. I have gotten clean from both heroin and benzos and honestly benzo withdrawal is worse it lasts longer and the your symptoms are worse. Heroin is bad physically like having the flu but its not the total mind ■■■■ that benzo withdrawl is.

4 Likes

It just makes me feel normal. So instead of getting intense anxiety at night if I take it I can just fall asleep normally and feel like everything is fine. But I think I gained tolerance to my current dose which is troublesome so I may have to go without it for a while to lose that.

1 Like

I take 5 mg Ativan at night and have been for over a year. Most of the time I wake up without feeling groggy… and speaking of groggy…

@anna how’s the modafinil working?

1 Like

Fine! I seem to wake up very groggy myself. Not sure exactly why, if it’s med related or just because I’ve been sleeping less or what. But after I take the modafinil I’m awake the rest of the day. Again it just makes me feel normal, not hyper or bursting with energy, just makes it so I’m not constantly feeling like I’ve been sedated.

2 Likes