Do you identify with your diagnosis

I had been psychotic in the past that’s why I’m diagnosed sz but I think they’re just labels to describe symptoms of how you were at a time and don’t believe I’m going to be like that forever, things change I accept the label but don’t identify with it

4 Likes

Unfortunately/ fortunately I identify with it.

It helps me when I can’t do things. I just tell myself I’m a schizophrenic and have limitations.

6 Likes

It’s like I can identify sz take my meds and nothing changes or just accept I was psychotic in the past have a diagnosis of sz and move past that and reinvent myself

1 Like

Yeah many times I identify myself to my disorder, whatever the fukk it is.
My brother and my psychiatrist believe that a big part of what is “wrong” with me is OCD.

It seems to run the show.

3 Likes

Medical professionals like their labels. And it protects me as well, but I want to move past it one day (and am already in the process of doing so).

2 Likes

Long before I was diagnosed depression and anxiety then a few years ago when I went to hospital they thought I was intellectually disabled changed to autism and thought I was depression with psychotic symptoms or psychotic depression changed to paranoid sz

1 Like

I would hate it if they kept tossing diagnoses :smiling_face_with_tear:like throwing spaghetti against the wall until something sticks :nerd_face:

1 Like

I think mental illness is in the brain but it’s telling me what’s happening in life like depression is from being unemployed poor being told your worthless by everyone and sz or psychosis is from the government doing illegal things targeted people with they called the undeserving poor example paranoia the government is doing dodgy stuff persecution delusions the government threatened to persecute people and other psychotic symptoms from stress of it all

It’s like are you mentally ill because you had a bad life or do you have a bad life because you are mentally ill, its like the chicken and the egg

1 Like

For me the level of identification fluctuates being influenced by such things as mood state, and input of new information that strengthens or weakness belief in the validity of the diagnosis.

My daughter sees autism as being my primary issue with the mental health issues being secondary. Those mental health issues having been worsened by the stress arising from being an undiagnosed autistic person for over 6 decades!

I had cognitive strengths and weaknesses that were present long before any overt signs of mental illness, and any possible deterioration is most likely that which is expected to occur as a result of the normal ageing process . In some ways, despite my age, things have seemingly improved . That’s undoubtedly due to a better,less defeatist,mindset.

I’ve certainly not experienced the pre vs post diagnosis cognitive effects that are a regular topic of conversation here.

1 Like

Just because your paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you, or in my case just because I’m sz doesn’t mean the government ain’t doing illegal stuff, the robodebt royal commission proves they were, they targeted people, they sent letters with Australian federal police to make them feel like criminals and were going to be persecuted and sent fake debts and 2000 people committed suicide, wonder why I felt the way I did feel depressed suicidal and psychotic

1 Like

I try to not think about it. But my voices constantly tell me I’m psychotic and schizophrenic. I feel beat down, worn out and sick. I have to identify with it. I think this illness is for life. I pray and hope that I’m wrong though. But with the label comes the understanding that I’m not anything but human, I have my limitations. I can’t do as the voices and judge myself for it. I’m a sick human being. Even though it’s hard to acknowledge that. I wouldn’t be telling myself that I’m garbage if I had cancer. I have an illness, and I’m human!

1 Like

I’m not diagnosed SZ, but I identify with my diagnosis. I don’t let it define me, but I do identify with it.

2 Likes

No. It’s a health condition I contend with and one of several, but it is not my whole life.

1 Like

The only MH label i ID with is autism. Everything else is an illness

1 Like

No. I think I had psychosis , yes but don’t believe the sz dx. I don’t know if I ever will. Because I’ve had several different dx and I don’t think even the pros are sure yet.

2 Likes

If that means “Hi, I’m schizophrenic” then yes.
I completely identify with it.
But that’s bc way people label you behind your back, so I say it up front.

2 Likes

Exactly!

I don’t like saying “neurodiverse person” or “person with ADHD.”

I’m a psycho XD

2 Likes

Yea I identify with it because I make many decisions based on my mental health fragility.

2 Likes

It’s good to have insight…

2 Likes