Do you bend or break?

I remember a quote from a book I was reading, might have been the count of monte cristo. Anyway, in it the author refers to one of his characters as ‘being unable to bend but breakable.’

I sometimes wonder if I am like that, and is the result of my sickness. I wouldn’t bend, but I was broken instead.

Like how an unbendable tree is broken by a hurricane, but the bendable grass survives.

Hm any thoughts? Maybe I’m talking crap (as usual.)

4 Likes

I bend and snap and break and grow and still stand.

13 Likes

When I say ‘break’ I mean broken, like a tree uprooted and finished. To me your picture shows a tree which ‘bends.’

1 Like

You’re not finished. I thought I was finished many times but I wasn’t. I’ve felt completely broken many times and even innately broken as a person, and yet I still grow.
I found that picture and chose it because that tree bent, broke and then it looks like it continued to grow from a branch, upward. It now has the broken trunk bent underneath the living branch that is growing upward. Seemed meaningful to me.

6 Likes

When I was a young girl, and a young woman, I was very breakable. But now that I’m older, I bend.

4 Likes

This would be a beautiful basis for a poem. A tree that grows and curves with the wind instead of breaking or splintering. I really like it.

4 Likes

The older I get the more difficult it is to bend and the easier it is to break. Still, there is help and recovery.

3 Likes

I kind of melt and slither off the table.

5 Likes

I don’t bend too but I repair myself constantly and it makes me harder to break every time i rise

Bending may not cause pain but will pin you to the ground after a while,

4 Likes

I crumble - sometimes faster, and sometimes slower. The med’s help me not crumble so fast.

2 Likes

Now I do bend.But not as elastic as I want it to be lol

3 Likes

I think most of us folk can’t be broken.

We bend.

I believe and i just have to that things in life happen for reasons. To learn and grow. And for us it is not going to be too much. But tongrow. And we will not break.

We can’t be broken. I can’t be broken. Maybe bend. But never broken.

2 Likes

I broke. The first time I ended up in hospital I was a gibbering mess who wasn’t even sure where he was.

1 Like

I like the contemplation as crappy as it might be :slight_smile:

Ductile, maleable… the properties of metals… flexi plexi…

Brittle hardness… glass and pottery… and silicone wafers (presumably) :slight_smile:

I might say that it is a good day for science!

1 Like

I thought I was broken. But you can come back, by find something that matters to you more than the sickness that broke you. If you find something that strengthens you, you get upgraded to limping along.

2 Likes

yo mister brittish… what does sod mean? as in sodding or sod off…?

1 Like

Sod off means go away. It’s like a milder form of f-off. Sodding is a milder form of F-ing. Never said I was British just European ! :wink:

3 Likes

forgive me my good chum… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bend so I don’t break. You can call me gumby

1 Like

in my jewish culture/readings it says you got to mix your studies with activities and productive doings or the “tree” will break…

i often think i “broke” because i didn’t produce enough, didn’t do enough, didn’t clean up around the house for my mom enough…

judy

1 Like