Do you believe in recovery without medication?

OK I’m posting too many post but it’s because I need to express myself somehow in order not to feel anger

Do you think it’s possible for us / for me to live without medication.

I’m on antipsychotics now and I want to stop taking them. I feel it’s pointless of taking them. And it’s poisoning me I feel that! I’m serious, I feel like some insects are waking inside my brain.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s possible but you have to be careful. It’s best to speak to your doctor about it.

It is possible but not advisable, how long have you been taking antipsychotics?

For 2 years now

How many times did you change antipsychotic?

I was on Risperidone at first for few months, I didn’t like it so they changed it into Aripiprazole. So I’m taking Aripiprazole at least a year and a half. Now I’m taking more antipsychotics. I’m on Aripiprazole and Quetiapine

Did they stop the psychotic symptoms?

I’m not psychotic anymore, but I’m still hearing whispers

So they are working…
Maybe you should talk with your doctor about your side effects and try to find the most tolerable antipsychotic for you.

I think that we need to bear in mind that recovery is relative to the individual, as we all know that we learn to live with our illnesses, rather than recover completely from them.

It definitely is possible to learn to live without medication, but as with taking medication that also has its downfalls.

I do not take medication as like you I find that it does more damage than good (they literally are poison, in both a mental and physical sense), but due to that I do suffer from my illness, though I would rather suffer solely from that than my illness and the medication in conjunction with each other. It certainly can and will be hell at times, but that does not mean that you cannot find your own way through it.

Though learning to live without medication is a journey in itself, and if that is a journey you are willing to take, I wish you the best of luck and hope you reach a point where it is possible to do so. Please keep yourself safe if you do choose to stop taking medication, and if anything was to go severely wrong, going back to taking medication is always a possibility. This is definitely something you should discuss with your doctor first though.

2 Likes

I’s not about side effects. The main point is that they are poisoning me. Everyone knows that.

Yes, the poison that made possible for many people to live outside of the asylums.

What do you mean?

Without meds I would be in a straight jacket. I have tried more than once. Hospitalized every time where I was stabilized on meds.

It’s not a realistic expectation for a schizophrenic to be med free in my opinion.

1 Like

Yes, that statement is true. Though you cannot deny the harm that anti-psychotics cause to both your body and mind, but if you find that the positive effects outweigh the negative effects, you certainly should continue taking them, and vice versa.

Everyone has the right to choose their own treatment, it is a very personal choice and it is up to the individual to choose what they want to do with their own body. If you wish to take medication, that is perfectly fine, if you do not wish to take medication, that is also fine.

That is all I am saying.

1 Like

I can’t function without meds - period.

I mean they are not good for us / for me. I’m not psychotic now, it’s good, yes it’s good but every single pill I’m taking, I feel like it’s doing more harm then good for me. I’m not talking about side effects, I’m talking about the feeling of being poisoned by antipsychotics.

Sadly this choice has often negative repercussions on many other people, that’s why they usually end up at the psych ward.

1 Like

I ended up in a psychiatric ward like this. I stopped my medicine and after I was discharged they put me on more medicine.

Do you think that this feeling is rational?