Do psychiatric hospitals still use straight jackets and have padded cells?

In 1979 or 80, I was on the psych ward in the hospital. They put people in straight jackets and locked them in padded cells. I don’t know if they still do this.

They don’t use straight jackets anymore in the U.S… They still have padded cells though.

I don’t know about elsewhere on the straight jackets.

1 Like

Thanks Bowens. I’m in the US.

1 Like

I worked in a small psych hospital in the late 90s and they did not use straight jackets.

1 Like

We have no straight jackets here. They just get half a dozen people to hold you down on the floor to give you a shot

1 Like

I never tried to fight them, just cooperate as best as I could to get out.

I’m in Little Rock Arkansas and they did this back in 1979.

1 Like

The last movie I saw where they used a straight jacket was one of the Pink Panther movies. I don’t remember the year.

They do it in jail. I witnessed it. Plain Dealing, Louisianna. County detention. 2006. Straight jacket was put on then thrown in freezing cold padded cell. Literally, freezing cold.

1 Like

I haven’t been to jail. A Judge found I committed domestic violence against my Mom back in 2008, but I wasn’t criminally prosecuted for it. I was court ordered into the State Hospital. They didn’t have any bed space so they sent me to Baptist Hospital. I was in the psych ward there for about a month.

Chained face down to a table circa’ 1981.

Years later, I went out with a girl and my friend told me she had been put in a straight jacket once. He wasn’t supposed to tell me but it didn’t really change what I thought of her. She was fine. Very good looking and sexy. I don’t know why she went out with a chump crack addict like me; way out of my league; but we went out quite a few times.

1 Like

All I did when I was young was to smoke pot. I stopped in 1982 when I was 23. I did speed once, and may have unknowingly got PCP once. I was like psychotic 8 months after that. Pot never did that to me. My Mom worked with a clean former drug addict, and she thought it was PCP. I was never drug tested.

Thinking about it that was the Summer of 1980 I may have got the PCP. I can’t recall using after that. I was 21 then. I went to the psych ward January of 1981 I think. I’m just trying to figure it out. It was so long ago now.

2 Likes

Never had a straight jacket but padded rooms would have been a plus, I bashed my head on the walls a lot in solitary.

1 Like

Well I didn’t resist and didn’t get put in one, but I saw them used and the padded cells.

1 Like

Yeah… I was gonna say they do at jail… I was put in one one time. It looks ridiculous.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Abise.

1 Like

They still use the 6 point restraints here in the uk, on a high bed in the centre of the room with the pillow built in. Knew one patient that was so seriously ill, she literally used to smash her head against the wall, so she was always in there after an Accuphase jab in her arse.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.