Do old photos of your life depress you?

I was digging through old photos of my teenage years and I got pretty depressed. I have happier times in my life so maybe I’ll dig out those photos and keep them. But geez…

2 Likes

My whole life is depressing

2 Likes

Not really.

I’m doing better now than I was in my twenties or teens,

So old pictures don’t bother me as much.

Not to say some pictures don’t make me a little sad and envious of my past self.

Its normal,

Save the pictures and cherish your memories.

4 Likes

Memories should revive happiness, not depression. At least for me it’s like that.

1 Like

Only pictures of when I was really little. Cause that was the time before the abuse started my family was happy. It’s all so distant now. I miss it.

2 Likes

Luckily there aren’t many so they are mostly remembrances and vivid dreams that depress me.

3 Likes

Old family photos of my childhood and teen years makes me sad.
What a wasted life.

5 Likes

I cry when I look back. There’s CNN on way of going back. Now I just pray.

No way.
Bastardized phone.

2 Likes

I did a bit of self-therapy and decided the reason I felt depressed about my teenage photos was because I was pretty much “on my own” for everything. Not alone , but just no family support for anything when I needed it.

I feel better now.

8 Likes

Same here, @everhopeful. I was alone too. I was ugly and awkward in high school, but maybe I wouldn’t have been such a mess if I wasn’t so tormented and alone.
I hate pictures of myself partly because they never tell the whole story.

3 Likes

Old photos of my life do make me a little sad because they include photos of my deceased son. But, they don’t make me depressed.

2 Likes

We’re here for you now, @everhopeful. I’m sorry you had to go through that.

4 Likes

Depends on the pictures. If they are ones of me, they do not depress me. But if they include one whom I have lost, then my heart shatters into a million pieces (I like cliches). I hope you can work out whatever you are going through. Whatever it is, you are here, and that is what matters!

3 Likes

Selective memory is common. I see old photos of myself seemingly happy and I wish I was that happy again. But in my teenage years I was very, very unhappy. I have pictures of myself in the mountains or with my first car or looking physically fit and I usually miss those days and long for those days when I seemed so happy. But realistically, I had good experiences for sure, but I had lots and lots of problems with people.

3 Likes

i have a photo of me looking at my mother and father lovingly…it saddens me as ive hurt them badly through all the years, when i had schziophrenia

1 Like

Yes they depress me knowing I was normal once.

Wish I was normal

2 Likes

Hey I’ve had my parents divorce each other, and had my Mom live with 3 other guys, my Dad live with 1 other woman, and didn’t have such wonderful times through much of my life. I was thinner, and stronger then but more miserable than I am now because the voices were a lot worse at the time. I don’t really miss the past that much.

1 Like

old photos, along with getting on Facebook depresses me. Looking at all the people i used to know, growing up and getting married/having kids. I’m at the age now where all that is prominent among my facebook friends.

1 Like

Facebook is the devils diary

4 Likes

I hate old memories…■■■ em all…!!!