“Do not immediately respond”

At intensive outpatient program today, the therapist had me send an email to each member of my treatment team explaining commitments I would make for a communication plan (such as using fact-based unemotional language, listing which coping skills I tried). She also had me write down commitments they should make. She had me include “Do not immediately respond.”

When I got home, I replied to the group email explaining why I disagreed with that statement of the communication plan. What if there is a crisis? They are my treatment providers. We are paying them hundreds of dollars. We’re taught to call them when there is a need. I’m intense, and I understand if I’m too much. I asked them if they can’t treat me anymore or aren’t willing, let me know so I can find a different doctor who can help.

I sent this to three therapists and one psychiatrist.

5 Likes

I completely agree with you

4 Likes

Thank you @CoCo! @Ninjastar reminded me that it’s their job to help, so I felt better about being honest. They can always refer me to a different doctor.

One therapist responded to the group email that it should read “Treatment providers will not immediately respond unless Name communicates that there is immediate need.”

So I felt affirmed.

3 Likes

Hmm… I think the therapist needs to be clearer. You have OCD, and if you’re, at least in part, using your treatment team as a method of seeking reassurance to neutralize your obsessive anxieties, then she’s correct and such behavior needs to come to a gradual end. That said, I’m pretty sure she didn’t mean that there’s never a situation that warrants immediate attention. She told them to wait to answer your messages, not wait to read them.

“Hey, does honking at some idiot on the freeway make me a bad person?” and “My cat summoned Lucifer to my home, so I have to flee.” are two different emails, you know?

3 Likes

I have hit this brick wall too with my treatment team.

@Sardonic
You really are brilliant.

There’s a debate on my treatment time. Some think I really am suicidal, and the IOP therapists think it’s just OCD. Either way, I’ve acted on the thoughts and overdosed three times in the last five years. The ideal, of course, would be that I only reach out for help in true emergencies. The problem is, I can’t always tell what is ocd and what’s not and distinguish a true emergency.

I hear you on the therapist being clearer. I should ask them to clarify instead of assuming they don’t want to help.

“She told them to wait to answer your messages, not wait to read them.” This is very smart and puts me at ease! Thank you!

1 Like

@Joker
What have they done? Stayed with you or recommended a new treatment team?

I read your posts, and usually chuckle. You made my day. Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.