Disability vs illness

do you prefer the word disability or illness when referring to your sz?

• illness
  • disability
  • other
  • none

0 voters

3 Likes

I don’t like to say I have a disability. That implies you are unable to do things and although I am it’s nobody else’s business. And it’s hard to explain a disability you can’t see. If I were in a wheelchair I might feel differently but I want to appear as normal as I can be.

I tell people I am retired and they usually say I am too young to be retired but I really am so I roll with it.

2 Likes

i’m the same, i dont feel that disability applies to me bc i take my meds and i am stable, illness is something that can been hidden as well

1 Like

“Condition”. That’s how I refer to it.

3 Likes

I voted earlier how come zero voters?

2 Likes

I usually deny I have a illness, because I don’t buy into that it disables me, but my social workers and doctors do so that balances it out. I need to start looking for a job again.

1 Like

says 20 voters here Jedi, anybody else not see the poll?

1 Like

It’s clear now, it was an error or something idk. Now it’s cool

It’s weird when you find a med that stalls your psychotic decay or whatever. You get to thinking that you’re normal and need to come off the meds. But I have to remember how mad as a hatter I was off the meds, so I guess I might be ill. Just not while on proper medication.

1 Like

I think it should be in the ‘other’ category rather than non, but its ok, lol

If i wasn’t on meds i’d be disabled by my illness, but right now i am not disabled by my illness, bc i am stable, so i guess its all about how stable you are on meds :slight_smile: i guess :confused:

1 Like

Depends on how you want to look at it. I am capable of working 15-20 hours a week in a low stress job, but I cannot work fulltime. I view it as a disability because I am incapable of working fulltime. Others may vary, every sz is different.

1 Like

I have an illness and I have a disability. Disability is a legal term. I am not sure about illness, but it probably is. How some of you refuse you be called disable is beyond me. If you cannot hold a full time job, or even a part time job like an average adult, how are you not disabled? If you don’t go to school full time either, how are you not disabled? Accept your disability and accept your illness. You will live a better life through it. I am proof. I am working full time as an analyst at a bank. I now drive a Mercedes.

2 Likes

Ohhh…how do I refer to it? among anyone that doesn’t themselves have serious MI, I avoid referring to it, unless it’s someone that I really really trust.

1 Like

I think it is possible for it to be both a disability and an illness. In the sense that SMI especially can be rather disabling.

2 Likes

I use both illness and disability.

1 Like

I prefer bat ■■■■ crazy.

2 Likes

on some job application forms i have filled it asked if i have a disability or a long term illness

this is the meaning of the word disability

disability

noun: disability; plural noun: disabilities
a physical or mental condition that limits a person’s movements, senses, or activities.
“children with severe physical disabilities”
synonyms: condition, disorder, affliction, ailment, complaint, illness, malady, disease; More
a disadvantage or handicap, especially one imposed or recognized by the law.
“the plaintiff was under a disability”

and here is the meaning of illness

illness

noun: illness; plural noun: illnesses
a disease or period of sickness affecting the body or mind.
synonyms: sickness, disease, ailment, disorder, complaint, malady, affliction, attack, infection, contagion, disability, indisposition; ill health,

1 Like

I like disorder. It’s not really an illness. I’m not sick and the meds control my symptoms to a certain extent.

I like @shutterbug 's suggestion. A condition would be just as good!

2 Likes

I think that what I have is more of a disability than an illness because I don’t presently have any psychotic or mood symptoms of an illness. But, I am disabled and cannot work because of multiple reasons such as chronic insomnia, inappropriateness, frequent migraines, degenerative arthritis of the spine and related back pain, hearing loss, poor judgement and exacerbation of schizoaffective symptoms under stress.

1 Like