Difference between magical thinking and delusions?

I had that delusion. Did not help at all that the floor had turned into water.

For meā€¦ the magical thinking seems to be connected to my obsessive spikesā€¦

I have to open ALL the small boxes I seeā€¦ I HAVE toā€¦ something might be inside one that will give me an answerā€¦ (just some sort of answer) to my problem. (what ever problem that is)

Orā€¦ I have to put the piano bench in front of back door before I leave the apartmentā€¦ other wiseā€¦ we will get burgled. (Iā€™ve been getting help in letting go of my ā€œleaving ritualā€)

Delusionsā€¦ Everyone is stalking and plotting to harm me and my family.

Or the one that Iā€™ve been working throughā€¦ it comes around a few timesā€¦ I can predict the futureā€¦ I can heal people by laying on of handsā€¦

I once had a idea that numbers had meaning, so that if I chose menu 1 and not 2 at Jolibee then it would mean something special to the staff and myself. Thats magical thinking I guess.

However when I lived in the Philippines there was a lot of superstition like the taxi driver constantly touching their cross, which hung from the mirror. To avoid danger.

Also I went into a department store and bought a shirt with a camel as a brand, then I heard the ladies in the store discussing that I was single, because I bought brand ā€œcamelā€ because it signals that you can go for long without water, lol. true story.

I dont think this is typical for women in the west, so I guess the place had more magical thinking than elsewhere. Or not?

But yeah I also avoided crossing the street, because it meant something special, also magical thinking probably.

Is this your card?

Is this your card?

See? Magical thinking.

1 Like

It depends on the media. For example, you have a delusion that youā€™re a bird and it can cause a LOT of real world problems. You put a magical bird on paper, then youā€™re an artist. Itā€™s all about what media you use.