Schizophrenia.com

Did You Guys Know?

That DSM 5 gets rid of subtypes of Schizophrenia… So I guess I wouldn’t have Paranoid Schizophrenia but just Schizophrenia.

Maybe they just want to simplify.

The DSM got rid of Paranoid Schizophrenia+Disorganized schizophrenia.

It got rid of all the subtypes…

Schizophrenia subtypes

Schizophrenia subtypes have been dumped in the DSM-5 because of their “limited diagnostic stability, low reliability, and poor validity,” according to the APA. (The old DSM-IV had specified the following schizophrenia subtypes: paranoid, disorganized, catatonic, undifferentiated, and residual type.)

The APA also justified the removal of schizophrenia subtypes from the DSM-5 because they didn’t appear to help with providing better targeted treatment, or predicting treatment response.

thought i would say hi.
take care

hi buddy :slight_smile: :wave: :smile:

much easier to just have SZ not have subtypes. Glad they did that.

Psychiatric diagnosing is complicated and fuzzy as it is. I agree with @Saadiqah, not having sub types simplifies the sz diagnosis a bit

i dont really care about it anyway lol,

let them do their jobs and read their books and we will continue to get well and recover.

take care x

I guess for me that that would be easier then some time’s more paranoid, some times more disorganized, better just call it undifferentiated.

Can’t wait until they take the next step in the future and get rid of Schizophrenia, period.