Did we buy a lemon?

Our car died yesterday.
It wouldn’t start and there were all kinds of flashing warning signals going off everywhere!

It surprises me as it’s a new 2019 Toyota.

They are usually reliable cars!

We bought it from a car dealership and it was previously owned by a manager that worked at the dealership. It had extremely low mileage when we bought it.

I hope that it’s not a lemon.

We are going to have it towed to our local Toyota dealerships service station to have it repaired.

I’m so upset.

1 Like

Geez @Wave, that bites.

You’re right-- Toyotas are typically great cars: I had a '97 Camry a few years ago and that thing was still running after 20 years.

Is it cold where you live? Sometimes cars can act funny when temps fall below 40F.

I bought a whopping lemon of a car from a shady dealership.

Shoulda known better, but I fell in love with the car… Paid $4500 for it and have since put close to $3000 worth of work into it.

…And it still has issues.

Best of luck with your car!

1 Like

Yes it gets cold here, I live in the northeastern part of the US.
The thing is I started up the car almost everyday to keep the engine warm before it died.

I think there could be a problem with the electrical system also and I don’t know if our warranty covers this.

Thanks @Schztuna

2 Likes

Oh no, that’s not good. Hopefully it’s just some faulty wiring that can be fixed inexpensively :+1:.

1 Like

Could just be a flat battery?

1 Like

We are a Toyota family. Everyone in my family owns a Toyota. The only problem we’ve had so far is their car batteries. They seem to die really quickly, even as new. That’s my only bad experience. I sure hope you didn’t get a lemon. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Yeah I’m hoping that it’s just the battery @anon78876561 @everhopeful

2 Likes

Did you get a Carfax report on it prior to purchase?

1 Like

No unfortunately I don’t think we did.

What does this expression with lemon mean?

1 Like

Sounds like a sensor problem to me. Most likely your car is just fine

1 Like

Toyota are good cars, its bad luck as it must rarely happen.

1 Like

I think it means bad or not working.

2 Likes

Not meaning to freak you out, but cars that have been caught up in flooding can be cleaned up nicely enough to sell, but are never reliable (as an example). Moving forward, don’t buy a used newer unit that you can’t get a Carfax on or that they won’t offer an option to purchase full warranty on.

1 Like

Our car is under warranty.
We have it covered over many years.

But I don’t know if electrical issues are covered.

1 Like

Cars are money pits. Even when they don’t break down.

I had a friend growing up who’s dad said buying a used car is buying someone else’s problems. The older I get the more I agree with that statement.

2 Likes

I’m glad your car is still under warranty. Maybe you’ll get a new one. If not, I hope they say it’s just the battery. That would be nice

1 Like

Even new cars are money pits.
They are such a hassle to maintain.

The newer cars have complex electrical systems.

We should have bought a basic car.

3 Likes

Thanks @CoCo

1 Like

That’s what I do. Well, Cuz that’s what I can afford…

I don’t understand people who can spend $15,000+ on a used car that has no warranty. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night. My powertrain warranty runs out in like 18 months and I’m paranoid about replacing something expensive. But I can’t afford to trade in every 5 years…

1 Like