Did any of you gain imployment after a college degree

Thats what I would like to know. Because I felt that my academic perferformance deteriorated very badly 8 years before I was introduced to psychotropics. Although I made it to high school and later trading school and a very short IT education I only managed my first two jobs. I manged to pay back my student dept just before I went Luna.
Has any of you succeded or failed your degree later in life. And if so do you also feel like has given up on you.

1 Like

I got my college diploma and fell sickly shortly after.

I had some success with employment.

1 Like

I gained employment but not degree employment.

2 Likes

I went back to school at 35 when I was stable and got my bachelor’s then my master’s degree. I took the exams to be a registered dietitian and passed them. Then I worked for 5 months and freaked out twice in that time. I haven’t worked as a dietitian since then, that was 14 years ago.

3 Likes

White. Yes its really sad when we have to realize that were a little bit to disabled for our dream jobs.
The last years I was only minor psychotic but all of my lige Ive been unfit for social engagements because I have a hard time reading other people.

1 Like

Apple kid Im very glad on your behalf.

Never got a degree, but have been successfully employed for decades.

3 Likes

Just like you the illness hit like a thunder’strike at age 24 years.

1 Like

I hit it back harder.

2 Likes

I think I miswrote, I’m not currently employed even tho I did find employment I lost it both

1 Like

I got an architecture degree and designed furniture for one firm and houses for my longest stint of employment as a residential designer…then I got sz at 35…never got licensed but interned all the years I worked for the house design firm.

2 Likes

I’ve been almost steadily employed since 1983. I first went to college in 1984 and got my degree last year.

5 Likes

I was too sick to finish my education. I did work off and on from 16 to maybe 24 or 26 years old. But it just got to be impossible eventually with how sick I was (and am I guess).

2 Likes

@MintyFresh I’m like you. I didn’t finish. I was 5 classes or 20 units away from a BA in math and I got schizophrenia at 22-23 or something from marijuana and salvia back in 2011 in college. I had a bad trip (substance induced psychosis). It morphed or developed into schizophrenia. I haven’t done anything in 13 years. I’ve been stuck in my head and suffered from solipsism and thought I was a brain in a vat haha. You know, simulation theory…

But ya, maybe I wouldn’t have graduated anyways (the classes were hard) and I would have had to stay longer. I kind of didn’t know what I wanted to do back then. I didn’t have an internship or work experience. I was a senior in college.

I’m still stuck in that mode of wanting to get a degree some day. Work is probably better for me though. I just lack motivation and focus.

3 Likes

Ypu are really tuff that you worked those 8 years of your youth were SZ hurt the worst.

1 Like

I really look up to you because you managed to become a designer and work all those years.

1 Like

We both come from the same place because I was alcoholic from agr 16 to 33 but then I quit alcohol 21 years ago. They all say narcotics are so harlmfull for schizophrenics but I think that alcohol when abused is just as harmfull.

1 Like

Nick you have achived something that most SZe only dream of.

2 Likes

Imployed for decades. That was what I would aim for if I could live all over again.

1 Like

Im sure you ll get another chance some time soon.

1 Like