Anyone with a degree working in their related field?

Just want to know how a high functioning schizophrenic looks like, apparently i am high functioning also

1 Like

I dropped out of college and went to work when I was 19. I had lots of on the job self study courses over the years along with one or two week training seminars with private software companies (like IBM). I didn’t have anything but a high school diploma until 2003 when I completed a two year associates degree.

1 Like

No but I will be in a couple years im in my junior year of college

I have a degree in architecture from Oklahoma University. lost my career when I got sz.

2 Likes

Lots of people without SZ/SZA don’t end up working in what they studied in.

I even know someone with a PHD in physics and there are so few jobs for someone like him in his field that he is entirely retraining on programming.

3 Likes

Yes, I have a degree in kinesiology/physiotherapy but realized I hated touching people. I wish I studied computer science instead as it also pays much much more.

4 Likes

I’ve worked in my field, but briefly.

It didn’t make as much money as the job I had during college.

So I went back.

2 Likes

I had a job in my field for students, I hated my life back then and it was too stressful, I rage quit after a week. It paid more than minimum but still much less than computer programming.

1 Like

I have a general studies associates. Soon to have a psych associates.

I don’t work in my field though. I don’t even have plans to work in psych. Too many variables. Plus I don’t trust myself to help others with their mental health when mine is frequently poor.

I just like to study the subject more than I do working in it.

I will be going back to school for dental hygiene or optometry.

2 Likes

One of my best friends is currently studying that, he’s doing his last course.

1 Like

I don’t work in the field of my bachelor degree. I have a certificate from a community college for massage therapy and work in that field.

3 Likes

I have a bachelor’s in counseling psychology.
I can’t work in that field.
And also i may need a master’s

1 Like

I have a degree in (clothing) design and I have only done teaching work in this field. I’m on disability now.

I was able to go through schools (I have no idea how, I have very little memories of actual studying) but working is hard for me. Now I’m planning art courses for people with mental issues, as a volunteer and peer support.

1 Like

I was doing coding last year very briefly. Still tryna get back into it; web design, html, css, javascript. I want to move onto software engineering, but it’s way easier to learn with actual classes. Going back to uni next year hopefully to finish my Bio degree.

1 Like

Good luck @EternalUniverse

1 Like

Pre-sz jobwise I was fine. I had a degree in economics and worked for a Canadian multinational.

Post sz I got a degree in Health Sciences but I haven’t worked in that field. Longest I was able to hold a job was about 6 months. I have been able to volunteer for longer periods though.

2 Likes

That’s a big problem as a physiotherapist. Didn’t you notice in uni that you didn’t like touching people?

1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to complete college.
I wasn’t stable enough.
My moods were everywhere

I majored in History and Sociology

My main roles have been research based and analytics/insights

Hoping I can utilise the Sociology more so working for the government Justice department - if the occy health approves my application

Already been offered the job. I applied in February, and might be looking at a start date of September at the earliest

1 Like

I sucked at classes where I had to touch other students and volunteers like emergency care. I got like 50-60% but luckily the passing grade is only 50%. it stressed me too much. I wanted to change to computer science but my best friend who got in medschool told me to get in physiotherapy as if I get good grades I can switch to medshool or pharmacy. My parents wanted me to become a Dr or a pharmacist. I liked becoming a pharmacist but it needed a min of 3.8 gpa to transfer, I finished my program with 3.05 gpa which wasn’t even enough to do a master/specialization, 3.4gpa needed.

1 Like