Schizophrenia.com

Diction -good or bad?

How good or bad is your diction? I think I am speaking clearly but often it doesn’t come across that way . Is it possible, I wonder, to be talking rationally/sensibly and yet because you don’t come across clearly others think you are not.
Or alternatively do we convince ourselves we are speaking clearly when to the person listening we are not.
I regard myself as a good verbal communicator but I wonder whether in an oral as opposed to written verbal sense this is true.
I have had things like “unable to adequately communicate need” and “problems expressing himself clearly when angry,agitated or frightened” written in my notes.
Is oral as opposed to written communication a problem for many with psychosis/schizophrenia etc ?

1 Like

It’s definitely a problem for me. Even in writing when I have plenty of time to look over and change what I write it still doesn’t always come across the way I intend for it to. It’s definitely worse when I’m talking, though. For that reason I try to say what I want in as few words as possible. I find that when I try harder to explain myself it just makes it worse.

2 Likes

never gave it much thought, once it is out there, spoken or written, it is there to stay. i’m edit happy verbally, written I know I would make a grammar teacher cringe, thank goodness for edit!

I can think of situations where if I later realized “if I had just said this” it would have made things a lot better. I let a lot of things go in person. A pdoc told me not to do that. I’m not really engaged with the world. I think my reticence gets me what I want, which is to be left alone.

I’m there with you on that. When you have a lack of a response, it may satiate your own needs, but your not engaged with the outside world. being edit happy verbally creates a need or urgency for you to correct oneself. do not have these small regrets when simply saying something anything is the right thing to do. one more reason to smoke pot… and I’m out.

When I’m talking in my native language my diction is pretty bad. My English diction is not so bad for some reason.

I am depressed now, and because of the depression , my thoughts are slowed down and my ability to express myself is diminished.

I think my diction is ok. I rarely get people asking me to repeat what I said.

I was really surprised to learn English wasn’t your native language. Not only are you fluent, you use the language casually and easily. @Minnii does the same.

(Is your native language -redacted-?)

1 Like

I’ve been told my diction is excellent. I come from an area of the States where the language is kind of warm and slurry, though, and so I get asked occasionally what my accent is by people from my hometown. My sister gets the same question.

Thank you for the compliment, Rhubot! :blush:
As you may have noticed I am not comfortable saying exactly where I am from. But I’m from one of the Scandinavian countries. :wink:

1 Like

Lolol, I thought you would have said by now if you wanted to, so I edited. Sorry!

1 Like

“Fatalism of diction leads to despondency of mood.” Dr. Abraham Low. A lot of us have this problem here on this forum.
I’ve been finding lately that my speech is full of emotion, but if I rehearse the things I have to say, and speak slowly and loudly enough, people get it. Writing is much better, because you get to edit it. The authority of the written word is another thing I like to say. I’ve gotten to the point where no matter how filled with emotion I am, I can still write a rational sentence on my behalf, even a paragraph. Keep it as brief as possible. I’ve pretty much cut humor out of my speech, because humor can harm myself and/or the other person. I have gotten very serious at the end of my life. We also have to know when to stop talking and listen.

1 Like

srwyduktfoufcvlvlvf…bad !?! :smiley:
take care :alien:

1 Like