Depression and lack of motivation

most people need a job/something in their lives to prop them up i dont have that something i feel like im missing something ehich is making me depressed so i dont have the motivation to find activities im just lying in bed only just got ittogether enought o shower.

good on you for having a shower, your one step ahead of me.
depression sucks big time, but try putting on some positive upbeat music,eat some protien , b vitamins, get out into the sun ( vit d ), try planting vegies or herbs, gardening always helps to heal the soul, go for a walk in a park.find something fun to cook !
know that i care.
take care

3 Likes

When i become depressed i take just one capsule of amino acids, and my mood is back to normal for a week

2 Likes

I don’t think I’m depressed. I just have this strong anti-action current in me. When I manage to try doing something I go haywire. I’m scattered e like a spiral galaxy and all the time I have to constantly try to pull myself back toward the center. No wonder -

2 Likes

Take a walk. Go to the park. Isolation is a dead end. I need to do it too. I find my problems are easier to solve if I’m not cooped up thinking about them day after day. Go to a coffee shop that has outdoor seating and relax and have some coffee. No one will even notice you.Volunteer one hour a week at a food bank or animal shelter. Contact NAMI for help. They just may have a group to help you. I know people don’t like to be around other people sometimes but if you join a support group the other members may be going through what your going through so who are they to judge? But they’re probably nice. But it’s a lot easier to be tolerant when everybody is going through the same thing. I just read an article on motivation. It said," You get motivation by taking certain steps.You don’t wait for some kind of osmosis that will give you motivation".You may be waiting for it for the rest of your life, unsuccessfully.You get motivation by taking steps, no matter how small. Little steps turn into bigger steps and so on. Start by walking down the street. Do that a while and try to push yourself to go further. Do that for awhile, then add going into a 7-11 or liquor store for a coke. Do that a while then try going into a restaurant for a coke. This is just an example. Small steps. Taking a shower. Cleaning the bathroom.You will build up and feel you have accomplished something and it will motivate you to do more.The balls in your court. I have therapists on occasion who take me out to coffee. It feels good. Do you have people like that where you live? Sleeping a lot during the day because you’re depressed is a vicious circle. You sleep because you’re depressed, then you get depressed because you are sleeping too much.You can break the cycle. Do you have a porch or backyard? Start sitting outside and sipping some tea, or coffee, or soda. It will be good for you.

3 Likes

For me to have meaning in my life and be motivated,
I need to have
something to do,
something to love,
And something to look forward to.

1 Like

I got motivation because of my love for exercising and staying fit and strong,makes me less depress also

2 Likes

I know the feeling of being depressed… all I do all day is sit around on my computer.it get’s soo boring but I think 77nick77 had it right it’s better when we have something to do. I wake up then go on my computer because it’s the only thing that can save me but it would be better if I found more stuff to do.

1 Like

I’ve been like that ever since my first psychotic break. I think the psychiatric jargon is anhedonia. I haven’t had a job in nearly a year actually and just stay in my house weeks at a time. I do make an effort to keep things tidy and cooking dinner though. It’s the least I could do mooching off my folks and all. And it gives me a sense of control sort of. I actually sort of enjoy it now.

1 Like

anti-action sounds like something from Star Wars. It’s a cool name for it.

1 Like

What do you eat? I felt tons better when I was a vegetarian, but I got massive headaches that cleared up once I ate a pork chop. Sometimes I think I should try again because maybe I wasn’t doing it right, but my sister and a cousin were with me (we had been on a trip for a week and the headaches were at their worst) and they didn’t have any problems but we ate exactly the same things. My body just can’t do it. I’m going to try to eat meat only once a day and see how that works out when I can swing it (my cafeteria loves the meat. Meat. Meat. Meat. everywhere).
I don’t drink soda, I don’t eat junk food unless I can’t find anything else or it is a blue moon. I feel tons better doing that.
A good first step is those Bolthouse brand fruit drinks. Naked juice is good too. I go with whichever is cheaper at my store that day and stock up for the week. I think Bolthouse is about 3 servings or fruits and/or vegetables depending on which you get. Protein might make you feel full but the fruits and veggies make you feel better!
If you want other ideas (I have lost about 30 lbs and then gained back 8 in muscle) on healthy swaps I can do a post and I hope @mortimermouse can help me because he probably knows far more than I do!

1 Like

I personally eat a super high protein, moderate carb and moderate fat diet. That’s inappropriate for you, as you arent powerlifting, LOL. I used to be into organic foods, I only ate fish or chicken once a day, no red meat or pork or anything else. I ate granola and soymilk for breakfast, ate cliff bars and drank soy protein shakes around workout time (cliff bar before, soy protein shake after) and usually had a tuna salad sandwich on wheat bread (NEVER white bread, it’s bad) for lunch and usually ate beans and rice and tuna for dinner. I did a 5 mile run and calisthenics (push ups, pull ups, lots of exercises using my own body weight) 5 days a week.

I was lean and muscular, but relatively skinny. But for a woman, this kind of exercise is pretty solid. I had more energy and was quite healthy back then, now im always tired (is it meds or the powerlifting making me tired? I dont even know!) and sore and honestly I am a vegetable when I am not in the gym.

For example, i did my bench and chest routine yesterday and now im back to being a vegetable, I feel amotivational and dont even want to run errands. My meds make me sort of depressed looking. But I perk up with some extra coffee or something exciting, like a date, that always wakes me up.

1 Like

hi everybody thankyou so much for the replies managed a swim sauna jacussin today made me feel better im going to try and completely cut out caffeine i think it makes me more anxious and paranoid wish me luck im totlly addicted to coffee lol hugs to you all0000000000xxx

Yay you are setting goals awesome

2 Likes

what happens in the morning without coffee will i EVER wake up?

Don’t stop caffeine cold turkey. I just did and am on day 2 of a horrible caffeine withdraw headache/bodyache.

My advice would be to cut your caffeine intake in half each week or 2 weeks like how a pdoc eases you off meds.

Plus, one cup of coffee a day is actually supposed to be pretty good for you. It gives your metabolism a little extra boost. Though don’t expect it to help with motivation. I once took a whole 5-hour energy bottle and ended up lying in bed with zero motivation for 2 hours twitching and shaky with a racing mind. I thought caffeine helps with motivation because it is a stimulant, turns out I was dead wrong.That was not fun.

3 Likes

I second that about don’t quit cold turkey or be prepared for plenty of dolor in the cabesa. No bueno.

dandydinmot…try a mental health club…theyre good places to hang out…you’ll meet like minded people there and you’ll be able to do something constructive. Mental health clubs are places where you can drop in for a coffee. Theres activities going on like creative writing, health management and other such stuff. Ask at your local psych hospital or phone your shrink to get details.

1 Like

hey,

Negative symptoms bite me…positives are blah!

Look to exercise daily even if you feel like ■■■■! Try to walk…do star jumps whatever but do it often and regularly!

Try volunteer work…it gives you something to do but without the limitations of full time or part time work. Ie most charities like some help but if you have a bad day and can’t get by it’s usually no drama to go home or whatever!

I’m pretty high functioning but the negatives bite me bad and it’s often something I struggle with. What I do is help out at my cricket club which is like an hour away…( I used to live close in the city but circumstance brings me further away ) but it gives me something to do where it matters two days or more a week…

Volunteering if you can’t work is a great thing!

A friend in the struggle,

rogueone.

1 Like

Youre right about the cold turkey, but for some people on antipsychotics, caffeine helps. It’s different for every person, I know some people who get sleepy after they drink caffeine. I myself rely on caffeine to function as a student, I am on my first cup right now. But too much is too much.

1 Like