Depressed again. lots of stuff going down

well, first off, the puppy we saved was wrecking the house and ■■■■ in the house all day and all night. so I took it to the shelter…I am upset about it but they had a better chance for finding a home for it than I do. that’s what I tell myself anyways. I am heartbroken about it. Angie says I did the right thing. I don’t know.

My step dad is dying. This has me torn up pretty badly. Doctors say he probably won’t make it through the year. I plan on visiting him as much as I can but man, he is like a father to me. me and my own father are distant. I plan on giving up cigs again this sunday. I am going to get drunk tomorrow night because we are celebrating Angie’s birthday and I will need the cigs then…then no more after that. well, that’s my ■■■■■■ up life.

It’s not an f 'd up life just because you are experiencing something sad. It is normal to be sad. Somebody who is happy all the time is crazier than someone who is sad all the time. This is situational, it is not illness.

4 Likes

Um, we’re not supposed to talk about drinking on here, only for recovery, or ways to stay clean and sober.

I’m sorry about your step dad, hope there can be some breakthrough and extend his life without pain and suffering.

Puppies are hard to handle, and many times you have to change your whole life for them.

2 Likes

Because why? Because you think you’re supposed to?

Ya know, no one ever held a gun to my head and told me I had to do that.

I think there’s a choice to be made here. And I think you can make it.

It’s not like I drink often or anything? yes, I’m going to wash away my blues with a bottle of rum tomorrow night. no harm in that. plus when I stop smoking I won’t be able to drink anymore. I think you’re being harsh.

2 Likes

I understand. I used to think the same thing. When I was still drinking.

1 Like

@jukebox…this is not a personal attack despite what a lot of people think about me, but I think you need to stop this quitting smoking every day thing. Al least it feels like that. You swear up and down that “things are different this time” or you’re “scared straight” etc., but it always ends the same way. I think you need to find alternative ways of quitting smoking. Whatever you’re doing/using to quit isn’t working. I know you’ve had a booze problem before, and I don’t think downing a fifth or whatever of rum and then promising to quit is the way to go. I’m sorry your step-father is dying, but it sounds like an excuse to up and get blitzed. I’ve extended my help to you before, as have many others, but it goes unheeded. And yet you keep coming back for more. I don’t know what it is you expect us to do when you can’t/won’t do it yourself.

6 Likes

Rescue Me… so I can get some attention (and stimulation) (and an opportunity to recycle my learned Victimhood here on the KDT).

Classic addict behavior. Call me a button pusher, but we don’t help them by lying to them. Sensitive though they may be, I support your statement 1000%,

5 Likes

I’m not a sugar-coater. Never have been. I will ignore stuff for a little while, but when I speak, I shoot from the hip and the lip. This has gotten me in trouble on here before (and probably will again), but I think people need to hear it straight. Sometimes you just have to address the elephant in the living room.

2 Likes

This is a support forum, and most people on here are looking to be rescued, especially from mental illness. If you are looking for perfect people maybe, Not Moses, you should go to church.

1 Like

Not true. Your heart is strong.

2 Likes

@jukebox I think it’s time for you to try the ecig. It’s a lot better for your health and will save you a small fortune. You will come to prefer the ecig in time. It’s got me off the cigarettes. I need something to turn to at this moment in life and when I’m ready i’ll quit that too.

2 Likes

I really hope you reconsider the getting drunk… You can celebrate with Angie without getting drunk.

I am sorry to hear about your step Dad… I hope he gets a second opinion. Please don’t let the time line get to you… I’ve met a few people who only have a year to live… and they are still with us three years later… as treatment improves… and more knowledge is gained… people have been beating the worst of illnesses.

Keep the hope…

3 Likes

I’m sorry about your step father. He sounds like a good man. I can relate to where you are with the drinking. I have to decide if I’m going to go to this guy’s house and drink tonight. I really can’t afford it. There could be trouble at that guy’s house, and I don’t like going to jail.

1 Like

I can empathize with your feelings jukebox, because I am only 5 months into a smoke and alcohol free zone and it is really difficult at times, but I have put an extra challenge on myself as well by trying to reduce and maintain my weight. So when I break now it only means downing a box of cookies or something. I could still lose a foot or leg or even my sight due to the diabetes I have developed so this is even a serious matter to address.

1 Like

thanks for all your replies…hmmm…just so you know notmoses and alien…I KNOW I’m an addict, that’s why I am getting drunk tonight. I can’t have weed anymore so what else is there to do to get altered? Drink. I think better when I’m drunk and I have some problem solving to get done. more addict talk I’m sure you’ll say…blah…as far as reaching out alien, I’m not reaching out, I’m just talking about me on here. Your tough love speech sounded like you just wanted to hear yourself talk tough. I respect you but you rubbing my nose in it didn’t work.

1 Like

Hey, I’m a tough guy too, but when it comes to faults, you know we all have them, yes you should talk about what’s going on, you’re being honest.

We kick these addictions with replacements, with love, with being active, with getting a new routine, with God, sometimes, with a counselor. I hope that online help is going well.

3 Likes

If I am looking for people who think they are perfect people, I should go to church. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused:

(Feeling pinned again, are you?)

1 Like

“Tho’ they may gang a kennin wrang,
To step aside is human”

Robert Burns

1 Like

No one functions better when drunk, that’s why you can get fired from a job for showing up plastered or be arrested (and in some countries executed) for operating a vehicle while intoxicated. This is such common knowledge that it even made its way into The Bible millennia ago (Proverbs, Chapter 23):

29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?

30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, [when] it moveth itself aright.

32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.

34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.

35 They have stricken me, [shalt thou say, and] I was not sick; they have beaten me, [and] I felt [it] not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Mankind has recognized the adverse influence of alcohol for thousands of years with the above passages remaining relevant today. Those who consistently fail to recognize the problems associated with excessive alcohol consumption are typically those most under its spell. You may want to do something about that.

Closing this in accordance with the updated site guidelines: