Delusions of Grandeur

• Yes, i’ve had a delusion of grandeur but I no longer do.
  • Yes, I have a delusion of grandeur that is difficult to shake.
  • No, I have never had a delusion of grandeur.

0 voters

I was just curious about how many people dealing with mental illness have had a delusion of grandeur. It seems there are many topics on it. The poll is simply meant to show about how many sufferers have had to deal with such a delusion. Feel free to share, or simply vote if you do not feel like sharing what your delusion was. I’ll share a little bit of mine which I no longer have…

During my early years of schizophrenia, I had two delusions of grandeur, one was that I was some sort of prophet in a world losing faith. That one didn’t last very long, the second delusion I had did last for a few years.

In my second delusion of grandeur, I thought that when I screamed the earth would react. For example, I screamed once when I was alone and I felt it changed the weather patterns causing a drought and a tsunami elsewhere. It stemmed from the idea that even the flap of a butterfly’s wing can cause a tsunami. I felt horrible for a few years thinking that I had caused the destruction. I would cry and freak out. Then there was the feeling of having surveillance on me. I seriously believed that a military radar noticed it and that I was under surveillance. Now I realize it was all in my head and it seems quite silly. There is no way I can change the weather. At the time however, it felt all too real. Does anyone have any similar delusions of grandeur?

(There must be about ten topics about such but this one comes with a poll! Meant to see if it is common in the illness of course.)

3 Likes

Yeah it’s common. Sometimes I am Buddha, that is difficult to shake. Sometimes I am Jesus, that left quickly. But usually I am omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient

2 Likes

When I was a kid I thought I was the center of God’s attention, and that he made a world of fake beings just to test me.
Later I had ideas of genius. I thought of myself as a genius. I had pretty high iq but it was a delusion, I think

1 Like

Dang, I’m sorry to hear that it is difficult to shake for you. I appreciate your honesty and input. I think it may be common. I met a number of people in the wards who thought they were Jesus. One called herself Tien, I’m not sure if that was a religious figure or not.

1 Like

I was in Chicago and thought I would be on the Oprah show. I know what it is like to be totally crazy.

3 Likes

At least yours is a little more plausible than ours. Hahah.:slightly_smiling_face: (Not meant to be disrespectful in any way shape or form.)

2 Likes

I decided to keep the votes anonymous for those who are a little embarrassed and such. It seems so far 5 out of 5 have had delusions of grandeur.

1 Like

Also, persecutory delusions imply that you are special. If others spy on you or read your mind, as I had in the past, implies that you have ideas of grandeur. Paranoia has grandiose aspect

1 Like

Well at the very least we are 1 out of a 100 in terms of average people. I have a feeling you are right about it being common. I wonder what percentage of us sufferers have had to deal with such.

I sometimes think I’m the reincarnation of moses, or that I’m some great prophet

2 Likes

My delusion was very similar to that. GO TEAM MOSES! (Just kidding, we’re not supposed to encourage each others delusions.)

1 Like

Dealing with such a type of delusion can be embarrassing that’s for sure. Especially if you’ve ever told others of your delusions. I have had people stop being my friends based on delusions of grandeur alone. It is a horrible experience. It seems it is part of living with the illness. Losing friends over the years, having moments of psychosis and such. Losing touch with reality is something many of us have had to suffer. It is a darn shame some of us have had to deal with these things. On a positive note, it seems some of us have gotten over our delusions based on the poll. I’m curious as to how long it took for those who answered “Yes, i’ve had a delusion of grandeur but I no longer do.” to overcome their delusions.

Well, I had a voice say something about “a messianic delusion”. I get tired of suffering the idea of telepathy, sometimes it seems so real.

It doesn’t consume my life any longer, but yes very difficult to get rid of completely when it’s so engrained in you. Just learning to live with it more.

1 Like

I thought years ago i was similar to Jesus good and kind. Now i have grandiose delusion but I won’t say it.

1 Like

How are you doing Gratitude? Everything been alright with you? Not trying to pry but you almost seem a little troubled. I think you mentioned in another thread this time of year gets to you sometimes. I hope things are okay for you. Keep up your rap game man. I always enjoy listening to your new stuff. (I was going to PM you but I forgot how)

That’s okay shifter, you don’t have to share if you do not feel comfortable doing so. I appreciate you joining the discussion.

1 Like

Doing good most of the time. My last three raps have been ill. I’m excited with that. All of them are too triggering for this board lol. Yeah it’s a tough time but I’m managing just a little lonely but doing better than last year.
I was thinking earlier I have bad bad memories of every month/time of year except September. September has never been too bad. Lol.

1 Like

Good to hear amigo. September is always a good month for me when I play the song September by Earth Wind and Fire… during September.

1 Like

Yeah I dunno what Billie joe Armstrong was talking about!!

1 Like