Controlling Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia- Best Meds

Hello I am a mom of a 31 yr old diagnosed with schizophrenia. Ambilify doesn’t seem to be working, so disappointed hearing such good. He is very agitated just as he was on Resperdal except Risperdal was killing him. Metabolic disorders, weight gain and he is white as a ghost with no hair at all on his body. Like a corpse. Ambilify at least allowed him to somewhat think. He is developing metabolic disorders and gained alot of weight. He is up all night most of the nights and barely sleeps days. His sleep meds give him nightmares.

I wondered if anyone with bigtime neg symptoms had any experience on Amisulpride. I would really like a drug that can be turned into a shot as he is not able to take his own medications so am really feeling trapped on what to do. He could take ambilify injection form but I would need an effective anti-depressant or mood stabilizer in injection form. Wellbutrin tabs are not working

1 Like

I didn’t have bad negative symptoms. Mile ones I experienced were corrected by amisulpride. People are praising cariprazine these days. I have not tried it.
Your son’s psychiatrist would be better judge in this regard.

1 Like

I just wanted to say its quite a lot medicines, for him/her to try. injection could work.

@Brittney_Cook

I’m so sorry you’re going through such a difficult time.

I encourage you to join the Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum. It’s specifically for parents and caregivers of loved ones who have schizophrenia.

The effectiveness of finding the right Antipsychotic in the treatment of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia remains controversial, as improvements in negative symptoms are invariably accompanied by improvements in positive symptoms and neurological side effects. Honestly Antipsychotics treatment for schizophrenia is focused on reducing or wiping out positive symptoms first. And then therapy and a weekly caseworker if possible to help me with my negative symptoms over time.

HI @Brittney_Cook

I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Volunteer Moderator